Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

offroad prep

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default offroad prep

I have a 93 f150 reg cab shortbox, 5.0 5spd and 4x4. I plan to hit some trails with it and am looking for ideas to get it prepped a bit better. I am getting some used 31x10.5 bfg all terrains and just put in a limited slip with 4.10s. So I think my drivetrain is good for now. I was thinking of loosing the front bumper and just putting a skidplate and maybe a brush guard in its place for a little more clearance and because it looks neat. So what can I do to this think on the cheap since its just a beater?

Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
gr8dane

tow strap, shovel, extra water maybe 5gal or so (for possible overheating), maybe some wood boards to help get out if you get stuck, camera to take pics and post on here and a really good friend that knows how to push, just in case. Your truck should be fine. Its always a good idea to go with someone else too. Two trucks are always better than one. Be prepared for everything.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Let's go play in the mud

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep an eye on your stering box bolts. my friend's 95 brock all three on his frist time out.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 AM

I guess i'll bring some tools and extra bolts than too!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:33 PM

first things first. put a roll cage in it. trust me. a few things i take to baja. shovel and hoe [yes a hoe. works alot better in sand than a shovel. easier to drag sand out than shoveling]. 50 ft. 3 or 4 inch wide tow strap, a decent tool kit, hi-lift jack, front and rear tow hooks, fire extinguishers everywhere, at least one good spare. two is better. food you like. power bars, plenty of liquid refreshments and ice, stove,extra cloths and jacket, tire inflater [bottle or vi-air pump]. tire pressure guages because you need more than one, tire plug and general patch kit. extra water and fuel. lotsa flashlites, a front pre-run style bumper and some extra lighting. a good back-up light, both harbor freight and kragen [checker] sell HID lights really cheap. a come-a- long. flares, a good first aid kit, rope, extra oil and tranny fluid, rear end oil and lube grease gun, parts like u-joints hoses, belts, a few extra fasteners and lug nuts, bailing wire and duct tape, zip ties,maps, gps, common sense, matches, hide-a-keys, some kind of communication, a mechanic, and last but not least , a jenna jamison blow up doll if your driving solo.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:48 PM

left out hand cleaner, gloves, winch, sat tracking system. google search "spot tracker". well worth it for alot of things. always let someone know where you're going and when your gonna be back. i know you can get by with less stuff but when you don't take it, you'll need it. sure as s--t. have fun. be safe. haul out your trash.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:50 PM
john john the leprechaun

beer
Old 08-13-2009, 04:50 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

holy **** randy, thats alot of stufff!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
john john the leprechaun

randy forgot to say all that is on a trailor that you pull while 4x4ing hahah
Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 PM

i keep sitting here remembering other stuff. a small roll of carpet for traction when you get stuck, fuel and air filters, funnel, extra cigareets if you've got the habit. camera to take pictures of yourself hopelessly stuck to show your friends. knife, hatchet or machete. light sticks.....on and on.

Quick Reply: offroad prep