Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

offroad lights wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default offroad lights wiring

So after much consideration I decided to pick up four of these lights to mount to my headache rack: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XMT9534...QEI0D801&psc=1

I went with these mainly because they are cheap and figured they would suit my needs at least until I can upgrade to some better lights.

My question is what all do I need to wire these. They have not arrived yet but the reviews say they only come with a few feet of wire. I know that I will need more wire and a switch but will I need a relay or a fuse with them? they are leds and do not draw very much so im not sure if I would need either of these. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
-Joe
Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 PM

I'd get a couple pre-made wiring harnesses. They'll have the relay and switch included, and they can be left in place when you upgrade the lights later. Amazon has them.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Poor/low quality/cheap lights are actually MORE in need of a relay, lest you fry your truck's wiring harness.

Don't waste your money on anything less than a 30 or 40 amp Bosch relay.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm going to watch this thread as well. I'm wanting to clean up my engine compartment wiring to my Rigids, curious as to the best/safest wiring with harness to go with.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:40 AM

so wire the lights to the relay and the relay to the battery and to the switch. No need of a fuse? not really sure what the fuse does anyways
Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

The fused line will go from the battery to the relay on the +12v line. That's how you make sure that if something blows, it's not your battery cells.

Also don't buy a pre-made harness, if you do, don't buy the cheap ones. Most of that wiring is copper clad aluminum, which is just crap for most applications. Make your own harness with real full copper wiring, it's easy.

Those lights will draw about 9 amps for all four at once, so a 30 sustained/40 peak bosch relay is fine, you'll only need the one.

You should brush up on basic relay wiring. Since this is all being controlled by a switch, it's actually quite easy.

Get a four pin (or five pin and don't use 87a for anything) relay. You'll hook up a +12v fused line to it from the battery, you'll hook up a line to go out to the lights (which you can make your own harness for by running one long piece of wire out of it and then splicing and soldering pigtails off of it for each light), you'll run a line to ground, and a line to your switch.

It sounds more difficult than it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by elricfate:
AutoAnything (12-19-2016), STingray1300 (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 05:54 PM

so what would happen if I didnt use a fuse? could I just wire the lights to the relay and then the relay to the battery and the switch?
Old 12-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Young_ford_fanatic
so what would happen if I didnt use a fuse? could I just wire the lights to the relay and then the relay to the battery and the switch?
Which would you rather kill in the event of a surge or backfeed, your battery cells/chemistry or a $0.10 fuse?

Additionally, which would you rather lose in the event that something in your light draws more power than it should, the fuse or the electrical wire carrying the current that will melt and start an electrical fire in your truck?

Fuses are cheap insurance. I can't see a reason you WOULDN'T use one.
The following users liked this post:
AutoAnything (12-19-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 08:46 PM

ok that makes sense now