Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

off-roading with 157" wheelbase?

Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Default off-roading with 157" wheelbase?

I'm going to be moving out to Colorado next month, and one thing that has gotten me pretty excited is that it looks like I'll be able to do a lot of fun trail-running there. I don't plan on doing anything extreme, but my sister and her husband want to get me in on their backwoods skiing and hiking adventures which lead them through some pretty questionable trails in the Rockies.

I have a 2014 F150 supercrew with a 6.5' bed, so it's obviously longer than what seems like the majority of trucks with the 145" wheelbase. I know very little about offroading but I know a longer wheelbase can become a hindrance at some point. assuming I'm not trying any crazy rock-crawling, should I be concerned? does anyone else do any offroading with their 157" trucks? I'd love to see some pics.

thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:25 PM
wait. what?

bump. anybody?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:48 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

I've been wheeling since I was old enough to reach the gas/brake/clutch pedal. You can take a motorhome off roading if you want. The only thing you have to be aware of, is to learn how to "test" a questionable spot on a trail. By that I mean that you inch forward and go until you get stuck -a little bit-, just so you can back out.

157" is a challenge, but you can a whole lot of wheeling no matter how long your truck is.

Just go and enjoy Colorado! (we're leaving Sunday to do some pass trails in Colorado).

Have fun!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:10 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

The main thing you have to worry about is getting high centered. I've seen crew cab long bed trucks get it on some dunes. If you're really worried about it but a beater jeep or lift your truck to create the clearance needed.

I also have the crew and 6.5' bed. When I took it to silver lake sand dunes, I took it easy. I didn't try and go up high hills to put my self in that spot as I'm still stock.

It's just something you have to be aware of, you won't be able to do every little trail.

Last edited by M0RRIS; 09-11-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:43 AM
wait. what?

thanks for the advice guys.

I'm currently running a 2.5" level in the front and 3" rear block, with 285/65R20 BFGoodrich All-Terrains. but I know cheap leveling kits aren't ideal for offroading - I can't even make it into a parking spot without the UCA clunking against the spring - so I've been thinking about switching to Fox suspension with Icon control arms, going a little lower and putting 285/70R17 Duratracs on some stock Raptor wheels or something. it seems like that should be a good overall setup for something that sees just the occasional light/recreational offroading, no?
Old 09-13-2015, 12:50 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

While I was reading your post about clunking UCAs, I said "he NEEDS some Icons!"

What you are thinking is close to what I did. I did a 2" front BOSS coilovers, 1" add-a-leaf in the rear. Raptor take offs, but I went with a 285/75R17 Toyo (you pick your own brand) AT2s. They are 34" tall. I also got rid of the OEM running boards and installed AMP Research fold-away running boards - giving me another several inches of ground clearance.

I hope you have the rear ELD (?)

Here's my rig (heading to Colo. in the morning):

Old 09-13-2015, 02:10 AM
How's she goin' eh?

Are you worried about the AMP running boards deploying when a clearance situation arises?
Do some people install a override switch?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:03 AM
wait. what?

Originally Posted by STingray1300
While I was reading your post about clunking UCAs, I said "he NEEDS some Icons!"

What you are thinking is close to what I did. I did a 2" front BOSS coilovers, 1" add-a-leaf in the rear. Raptor take offs, but I went with a 285/75R17 Toyo (you pick your own brand) AT2s. They are 34" tall. I also got rid of the OEM running boards and installed AMP Research fold-away running boards - giving me another several inches of ground clearance.

I hope you have the rear ELD (?)

Here's my rig (heading to Colo. in the morning):

how's the ride with the Boss coilovers? and do the Toyos do well off-road? the Open Country A/T has actually been my go-to tire for quite some time, but as I said I've never really done anything more than just on-road driving in snow, so I wasn't sure if they would be sufficient. great looking truck, you pulled the red accents off really well.

also yes I do have ELD, I have 3.73 max tow.

Originally Posted by M0RRIS
Are you worried about the AMP running boards deploying when a clearance situation arises?
Do some people install a override switch?
I've seen that OTRATTW sells a powerstep override switch, so it's certainly something that someone has done before. however they're surprisingly smart and if there is something blocking them from fully extending, they'll retract again. likewise, if something it stopping them from going up, they'll stay down. I played around with them quite a bit when I first installed them and they work very well. if nothing else, there's an inline fuse under the hood you can pull before you go wheeling and then they'll just stay up.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:23 AM
How's she goin' eh?

That's good to know
Old 09-21-2015, 03:43 PM
wait. what?

bumping this again. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of black 17x9 +18 XD Addicts and 295/70R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires. I've always liked the look of the Addict for some reason, and the STT Pro seems like a really promising tire for a reasonable price. I'm getting pretty excited to get out there and do some wheeling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: off-roading with 157" wheelbase?