Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Noob offroader with questions

Old 11-15-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default Noob offroader with questions

Hey guys. New to the Off-Road section. I've got a a 2010 SCrew 4x4 leveled with Nitto Trail 35's. I love my truck but I hate it being clean all the damn time. I know my set up isn't going to be an off-road machine but I'd like to get it good and dirty from time to time.

So basically what I'm looking for is any and all advice. Where should I be looking to get off pavement? I don't think I'd be able to do any more extreme trails that all the local rock crawlers take and I don't own any land of my own to go out on. I'm located in Northwest Arkansas. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

A The best tip for you..your wallet.. And your truck... ... Read over the manual of your truck about the 4wd selector... Learn how to use it... Get comfortable with it... Getting it in and out of 4wd....

A big mistake most noob's and everyday offroads do... Is use 4low....90% of the time you dont need 4low... Most people think 4low means more power and badasserie... But its just a gear selection.... 4low hurts alot of people because they lock it in 4low.. And try to fly through a mudhole...They cant get to wheel speed... ITs all torque...

Learn how to lock it in and out without even thinking about it... It bumfuzzles me people dont know how to use there 4wd lol...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Understood 100%. It's not that I've never off roaded before, but places that I have was a paintball field/adventure park in the Dallas Ft Worth area. Not anywhere near where I live now. I have a good understanding of the use of 4wd. I'm not the type of person that's going to throw it in to 4 just because I can. If I need it, I'll use it.

Last edited by larwood91; 11-15-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Oh your transmission is fine... Most noobs rip the transfer cases :O .....

Haha... I think theres a few threads on here with some good tips...Just have to search around a bit... Im sure more will chime in too

More importantly just have fun... Who cares what breaks .. ITs just money... It grows on trees correct?? ....
Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
Oh your transmission is fine... Most noobs rip the transfer cases :O .....

Haha... I think theres a few threads on here with some good tips...Just have to search around a bit... Im sure more will chime in too

More importantly just have fun... Who cares what breaks .. ITs just money... It grows on trees correct?? ....
Hah! (college student paying my way, just blessed to have such a beautiful truck). Thank you for your help And don't worry, fun will be had.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About one of the funnest things to do in a truck with 35's that really isnt built for all of these hardcore trails is to go mudding! Ask your friends who might own land if you can go back and play in the mudd, you might have to take them with you but the more people there are the funner it is!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never been out to Arkansas, but there had to be places to go. I live in Florida and a lot of our good off road land has been chewed up by housing, road construction and stuck up rich folks with lots of land and giant fences around it all. But there are still places to go. Get a few buddies together with their trucks and go explore. Just keep a ****** rope handy and have fun. The exploring is the best part about getting off the black top.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noob offroader with questions