Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

NEWB Q's? 2011 Lariat Limited AWD vs 4WD, suspension lift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NEWB Q's? 2011 Lariat Limited AWD vs 4WD, suspension lift?

What's the specific difference? Is it the transfer case? In the different modes for that model, how is the 4WD different then AWD? Is the AWD basically 4WD but without the elocker, and 4WD engages the elocker at certain speeds?
Also, do the same suspension lifts apply to the Lariat Limited?

EDIT:
Found some info on my first question on how the Tcase works, but not entirely sure about the difference in 4WD and AWD on this truck. Also, I don't believe there is a elocker?

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/awd-sy...-80265/index6/

Last edited by SkierMan; 06-17-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SkierMan
What's the specific difference? Is it the transfer case? In the different modes for that model, how is the 4WD different then AWD? Is the AWD basically 4WD but without the elocker, and 4WD engages the elocker at certain speeds?
Also, do the same suspension lifts apply to the Lariat Limited?

EDIT:
Found some info on my first question on how the Tcase works, but not entirely sure about the difference in 4WD and AWD on this truck. Also, I don't believe there is a elocker?

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/awd-sy...-80265/index6/
I am not sure about the new Fords, but a typical AWD system will have an open center differential that can alter power front and rear. On a 4x4 the middle t-case is locked 50/50 front rear with open diffs between the front and rear sets of wheels unless you have a locker there too. If the 150s are like ford AWD systems of the past, the system is meant more for foul weather than any off roading. No low range gearing is included and I would doubt you would have an option for the rear e-locker. The lift kit systems SHOULD be the same but I would check. However, speaking from experience on the beach trying to climb a sand dune in my FX-4, I would still be there if I didnt't have my low range. Stock gearing and the tranny stuggle even in first gear with 35" tires. So I would avoid tricky off road situations.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 09dreamer
I am not sure about the new Fords, but a typical AWD system will have an open center differential that can alter power front and rear. On a 4x4 the middle t-case is locked 50/50 front rear with open diffs between the front and rear sets of wheels unless you have a locker there too. If the 150s are like ford AWD systems of the past, the system is meant more for foul weather than any off roading. No low range gearing is included and I would doubt you would have an option for the rear e-locker. The lift kit systems SHOULD be the same but I would check. However, speaking from experience on the beach trying to climb a sand dune in my FX-4, I would still be there if I didnt't have my low range. Stock gearing and the tranny stuggle even in first gear with 35" tires. So I would avoid tricky off road situations.
Thanks. I must not been paying much attention to the link I referred to but your theory makes sense related to the link. In the thread I linked too, they refer to a clutch in the T-case. I assume, in theory the AWD selection lets the clutch slip to modelate power to the front drive, and/or acts similiar to an auto 4WD feature. Engaging 4WD must lock the clutch in the T-case to give fulltime 4WD.

I assume that the front diff is the same. Can it be regeared? This would help with larger tires and steep loose sand shore boat launches since no lorange is available.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. I must not been paying much attention to the link I referred to but your theory makes sense related to the link. In the thread I linked too, they refer to a clutch in the T-case. I assume, in theory the AWD selection lets the clutch slip to modelate power to the front drive, and/or acts similiar to an auto 4WD feature. Engaging 4WD must lock the clutch in the T-case to give fulltime 4WD.

I assume that the front diff is the same. Can it be regeared? This would help with larger tires and steep loose sand shore boat launches since no lorange is available.
Thats is what I interpreted as well - I believe Ford used a similar system on older explorers. The switch basically locks a clutch in the T-case to a 50/50 front/rear distribution. I don't know enough about the regearing details to answer your second question, but I THINK you can regear just about anything - for a price. It would help yes, and you may be fine if launching a boat is the hardest thing you ever do. What size tires are you planning on installing?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:34 PM

35's on the stock rim, heavy heavy
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 AM
FN SWT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

35's on the stock rim, heavy heavy

did you have any luck with your project? Any pics? Eventually...when the factory tires wear out, I am going to lift mine and am wondering if you ran into any troubles? Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 AM

I haven't lifted mine, there is another on the board that bought theirs from a local dealer lifted, but I am not certain if theirs is AWD or not. I haven't received a definite from a shop, they seem to think it will work just fine.

Quick Reply: NEWB Q's? 2011 Lariat Limited AWD vs 4WD, suspension lift?