Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

New to off-roading!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to off-roading!

I am new to off-roading and want to take my stock 05 F150 FX4 5.4 off-roading but want to make sure there isn't anything I should know before doing so. Any tips/pointers to keep me from damaging my truck? that is my main concern... Are there any issues that F150s/FX4s are notorious for?

Thanks!!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:01 AM

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey Csaw,

Welcome to the forum and to the sweet world of off-roading! I don't do much myself any longer, mainly light off roading when getting to a place to ride my quad at the dunes. However, I've done a fair share before and would say, go slow, and pay attention for things that will obviously damage your undercarriage, or tires. And from a lot of 04-08 f150's I've seen "off-road", most do fine. Some try and use it as a mud bogger and get stuck, but unless you plan to take your truck on some serious rock crawling trail, you should be ok to try it out and get a feel for how your vehicle handles in four wheel drive. Be careful and have fun!
Old 09-11-2014, 03:26 AM

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey man I have a 2005 Fx4 supercab and she rocks off road. Depending on what you want to do there are some things you should think about.

Do you like to play in deep mud? Get a small lift and mud tires along with bigger gears.

Do you like to go fast off road? Upgrade the suspension.

Do you just put around off road and nothing crazy? Then leaver her how she is.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 AM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

Proper recovery gear. (kinetic ropes, straps, vanbeest bow shackles, winch) as needed.
There are groups that provide 4wd training, google can help with that.
Don't go alone, always have a second vehicle or at least let someone know where you will be and when you will return.
A lot depends on where you will be going. Flat land, mud pits, mountain trails, backwoods etc.
Finally, google can also help you find a local 4wd club. Although most of those folks are jeepers they often accept members with all different types of vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jus Jim:
patclarke (09-11-2014), vdfsuspension (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 06:02 PM
F150 Forum

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by csaw454
I am new to off-roading and want to take my stock 05 F150 FX4 5.4 off-roading but want to make sure there isn't anything I should know before doing so. Any tips/pointers to keep me from damaging my truck? that is my main concern... Are there any issues that F150s/FX4s are notorious for?

Thanks!!
It really depends where you go off-road and what you want to do. Out here in the desert we go fast and often have to deal with silt, so I have my gear bag filled with tools, tow straps and a small camping shovel...
Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 PM

Just go slow and dont use 4 wheel drive till you need it, then if things get hairy you have a back up plan. Too many times in my rooky days I made that mistake
Old 09-30-2014, 10:52 PM

X2 on the shovel. Always bring a shovel

Quick Reply: New to off-roading!