Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Need tougher side walls?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Need tougher side walls?

Need some help in an area thats new to me. Am buying a little CJ5, 1980. All tires have been repaired with side wall plugs. (Yikes). OK, here's the deal, going to to some Desert driving here in Souther Nevada. Sand, rocks and Greasewood plants which when break form spears that love to eat tires. Are there any tires made that still have 4 ply sidewalls or even 6 ply? The dirt driver has 31X10.50-15's on it. Would like to stay same size to avoid the expense of new wheels. I have driven my old 1973 F250 out there with out an issue, it has 9.50-16.5, 8 ply tires, No problem. Any ideas would be great. One last question, is tire slime any good. I never allowed it to be use on the golf course equipment I maintained, have no exposure.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use slime in my race truck and it works great on most puntures and to keep the bead sealed but naturally it's not gonna do anything with catastrophic holes and rips in sidewalls. for tires i'd look into the toyo m/t tires for a really heavy sidewall and decent pricing. or the new kevlar goodyear tires with the later being a bit spendy. IMHO i'd shy away from bfg. you'd have to get project tires if you want decent sidewall toughness and you could get three toyos for the price of one bfg project tire. toyos have a really wide foot print as well. good luck and have some fun.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:30 PM

and you have to remember. there are rocks out there that have been waiting patiently for billions of years for you to come around with your sissy-*** tires and they could care less what kind they are....viscious bastards.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:27 PM
D-RoCk'S CuStOmS

if u want a good tire w/ excellent sidewall then i would go with goodyear MT/R kevlar.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...=Light%20Truck
Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by 20024x4
if u want a good tire w/ excellent sidewall then i would go with goodyear MT/R kevlar.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...=Light%20Truck
yep. they really are a great tire for sure. we race the goodyear yellow sticker non kevlar tire and have had great success with them. the kevlars are bound to be a great tire. bring your check book with you though.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Born On a Mountain Top...

check out my photos and i have a pic of my sidewalls. Kumho Road Venture M/T. one of the cheapest price wise for my 18 inch rims. i believe they have the size you're looking for

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need tougher side walls?