Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Need info on rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on rear end

Just bought a second 98 f150 4x4 she has a open rear end need posi I can buy a new posi loaded carrier for 235.00 uncle owns the dealership. How tough are the stock posi units or should I look at a locker. 80%of driveing is on road heavy towing 20% beating the **** out of it off road.what is my best bet thanks for he help
Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
This picture scares you

Are you really looking for a locker or LSD???

With what you describe you want to use it for I would say air locker or e-locker...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:44 PM

what i was trying to figure out is should i go with a posi or is there more benefits in a locker what are the pros v cons
Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
This picture scares you

Posi=locked all the time=bad for on road performance
selectable locker=can lock and unlock at you discretion
LSD=allows limited slipping on tire speed

For my money I would go with the air or e locker since they are selectable (expensive, yes).

I would say that most people can actually get away with a LSD, but you only said you would be beating the ***** out of it off road. there is a lot of off road out there. The terrain makes a difference also, what are you going to be running on???
Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Actually, POSI-traction is just general motors term for limited slip, much like Ford calls them trac-lock. To answer you question, the stock limited slip is mediocre at best, when they're new. But as they wear (and they wear quickly), they revert back to open differentials. They'll help with some situations, but overall, not much better than open diffs.

A selectable locker as the last post said is a good option. I run a detoit truetrac in my f150, and recommend that to anybody that runs on or off the road. It's awesome. The only time you spin just one tire is if it has NO load on it, like when it's off the ground. There are no clutches to wear out, totally gear driven. Read some of my posts about them. I go into alot of detail about this topic
Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 PM

great info whould I be wasteing my time puting a stock posi unt in the dealership I deal with has one in stock that they are willing to sell off for 175. just to clear the shelf this seams very cheap or is it not worth the time. priced clutches $43.86 to replace again seams very cheap wayto increase traction I knoiw a locker is best but the price has me thinking about the stock unit.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

you could always look at the Powertrax Lock-right, or the no spin locker. These both install into your existing differential carrier (they replace the spider gears), No disassembly and re-setup of the differential is necessary, and they're around $300. They basically give you a detroit locker. I know 3 guys that use them, and they work great.

Quick Reply: Need info on rear end