Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Need help with tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with tires

I have a stock 1999 Ford F-150. It has a set of 16 inch rims with 255-70-r16 tires on it. I need to put a new set on it and wanted opinions on brands and size. Should I stick with this size or go bigger? I am mainly on road, but at times am on our farm or offroad, so I do need some tread. All help will be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:38 PM

Any lift? spacers? add a leaf? Blocks?

If not you cant clear much more then the stock size tires. Toyo has some good tread for that size.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen plenty of people pull off 285-70-16 or 285-70-17 with little to no mods. If they do rub a little on full lock you can always crank the torsion bars a little, which is a free and relatively easy mod. Personally I'd go bigger, but thats just me, I think that they just look better with bigger tires.

As for tire brands that are mainly on road with some off road, I like the BF-goodrich All Terrains, or you can sometimes find knock off brands with a similar tread pattern. I had a set of Dakota Futura RVTs on my '78 and I liked them alot.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Ok, second one I've seen of this, there is probably seven, I thing its some sort of spammer.

^ Disregard, spammer was deleted.

Last edited by kookookachew; 01-21-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:13 AM
BLC

Originally Posted by kookookachew
I've seen plenty of people pull off 285-70-16 or 285-70-17 with little to no mods. If they do rub a little on full lock you can always crank the torsion bars a little, which is a free and relatively easy mod. Personally I'd go bigger, but thats just me, I think that they just look better with bigger tires.

As for tire brands that are mainly on road with some off road, I like the BF-goodrich All Terrains, or you can sometimes find knock off brands with a similar tread pattern. I had a set of Dakota Futura RVTs on my '78 and I liked them alot.

I had 285-70-17 on my stock ranger and they fit fine. A little rubbing on tight turns but I had a 4X4 so the turning radius was horrible anyways. I also had those Dakota all terrains (Pep Boys Special! ) and I liked them a lot. I actually liked those better than my BFG's I have on my F150. MUCH cheaper and I believe they have a 50K warranty.

Quick Reply: Need help with tires