Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Need help with my 4x4!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with my 4x4!!!

I have a 2005 fx4. I think I'm having some problems with my 4x4 and I need some help. It doesn't work all the time, it's like it works when it wants to. If I was to jack up the front end of the truck so that the front 2 tires are off the ground, and I lock the truck in four wheel drive (with the truck running), should I be able to spin the wheels freely?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

When you say "freely", yes and no.

If in 4wd, front wheels off the ground, truck running, if you turn one front tire, the opposite tire should turn in the opposite direction, because the driveshaft should be locked to the transfer case.

With the front end off the ground, in 4wd, running, crawl under and see if you can turn the front driveshaft. you should Not be able to, because it SHOULD be locked to the rear driveline which is on the ground, and in PARK. If you can, the problem is likely the shift motor not engaging.

Then, turn each wheel, and see if the C.V. shaft behind it is turning as well. That will tell you if the hubs are locking. that could be either a bad IWE (integrated wheel end (hub)), or IWE solenoid on the firewall.

but as I said, if when you do this test, the front wheel turns, and the other turns in the opposite direction, you're probably ok .
The following users liked this post:
fishbones182 (03-16-2015)

Quick Reply: Need help with my 4x4!!!