Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Mudding With A SuperCharger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Mudding With A SuperCharger?

I am kind of toying around with the idea of adding a Supercharger to the mix of mods that I have ongoing. The thing is, I do a lot of mudding and am wondering how a Supercharger would handle such offroad use? Does anyone have any first hand experience with them in such a situation? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roots or centrifugal? Intercooled or no? I imagine it would be ok. Only thing would be how long it would hold up and that depends on how much you are on the gas. If you are spinning it hard the whole time it won't last as long as tooling around town. I would think a self contained centrifugal with an intercooler would be best because you could change the oil often to help it live.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 01fiddy
Roots or centrifugal? Intercooled or no? I imagine it would be ok. Only thing would be how long it would hold up and that depends on how much you are on the gas. If you are spinning it hard the whole time it won't last as long as tooling around town. I would think a self contained centrifugal with an intercooler would be best because you could change the oil often to help it live.

Good deal and thanks for the response. You pretty much answered my question/s......
From what you have said, it wouldn't be feasible for me to get one.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM

That is just my thought from a mechanic perspective. I have no first hand experience with that but a good comparison would be a street car vs. a drag car. A street car that is driven pretty moderately with the occasional playing around should last 1000s or 10000s of miles easily but one in a race car will not last close to half of that. In most off road situations you will be in and out of the gas alot so it could work but won't last very long. Also the heat will stress the internal parts as well. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge will chime in to give you real world data...
Old 11-14-2011, 06:17 PM

And your welcome, just tryin to help out.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 01fiddy
That is just my thought from a mechanic perspective. I have no first hand experience with that but a good comparison would be a street car vs. a drag car. A street car that is driven pretty moderately with the occasional playing around should last 1000s or 10000s of miles easily but one in a race car will not last close to half of that. In most off road situations you will be in and out of the gas alot so it could work but won't last very long. Also the heat will stress the internal parts as well. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge will chime in to give you real world data...

I understand where your coming from. I can't fathom putting that much money into something and not having it last very long. Nor would I care to take the chance to "Test that theory" out. There are other avenues that I can venture down and I am sure that I would satisfied..... Again, thanks for the responses and your insight......
Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

i would imagine you would run into the common issues with forced induction as you do in diesel truck. high EGTs.

itll work, for how long depends on how hard you are on it and how good of a tune you have.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:01 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a good idea. I wish OGTerror was still allowed on here.. he was Supercharged and he would do some serious mudding but it did some serious damage. His entire engine was so full of debre and mud and gunk when he went to rebuilt it because it kept overheating that they junked the old engine and put a new 1 in with the Supercharger back on it. It's now retuned and built with over 520+ hp and he won't touch mud...

As fun as mudding is, it can take a serious toll on your engine and eletrical. That's why having a seperate mud bogging vehical is a good idea.. Mud has messed up alot of stuff in my truck too, and now if I do go through mud I don't go full blast like I used too.

If you browse TMC, OGTerror may still frequent that site and you can ask him questions... his was a Roush Supercharger with innercooler and was tuned by Roush.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by schissler
i would imagine you would run into the common issues with forced induction as you do in diesel truck. high EGTs.

itll work, for how long depends on how hard you are on it and how good of a tune you have.

It will get run hard, no doubt about it.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by AZFX4
Not a good idea. I wish OGTerror was still allowed on here.. he was Supercharged and he would do some serious mudding but it did some serious damage. His entire engine was so full of debre and mud and gunk when he went to rebuilt it because it kept overheating that they junked the old engine and put a new 1 in with the Supercharger back on it. It's now retuned and built with over 520+ hp and he won't touch mud...

As fun as mudding is, it can take a serious toll on your engine and eletrical. That's why having a seperate mud bogging vehical is a good idea.. Mud has messed up alot of stuff in my truck too, and now if I do go through mud I don't go full blast like I used too.

If you browse TMC, OGTerror may still frequent that site and you can ask him questions... his was a Roush Supercharger with innercooler and was tuned by Roush.

Thanks, from what has been said so far, its appearing to me that this would NOT be a good idea for me to do or attempt. I do get in the mud more than the average person. So lets face it, its gonna get used hard and probably on the side of abused as well. Thanks for all who have submitted responses. Its definitely been appreciated.....

Quick Reply: Mudding With A SuperCharger?