Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Looking for a Mud Truck

Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a Mud Truck

I'm looking to get a mud truck but can't seem to find too many people selling them around my area. I've looked on craigslist, autotrader and browsing around on google. Could anyone give me some suggestions on where to look for one? I'd preferably like an old F150 or F250 77-80's or so, I really like the older body style vs early 2000's. I'm not looking to spend much on one around $3-4k

Also could someone give me some tips or stuff towards owning/working on a mud truck, this will be my first and I want to know what engine/gears/tranny's I should be looking for and such.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:07 PM

bump
Old 04-28-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

MOST people build a mud truck. F250/350 would be a good start. google mud truck builds and start reading.

edit - Go to a local mud bog and talk to some guys
Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteOut
I'm looking to get a mud truck but can't seem to find too many people selling them around my area. I've looked on craigslist, autotrader and browsing around on google. Could anyone give me some suggestions on where to look for one? I'd preferably like an old F150 or F250 77-80's or so, I really like the older body style vs early 2000's. I'm not looking to spend much on one around $3-4k

Also could someone give me some tips or stuff towards owning/working on a mud truck, this will be my first and I want to know what engine/gears/tranny's I should be looking for and such.
Those older fords go for more than the 80-96 at least in my area, they're built really well and would be a good start, pretty sure they used a solid axle. Not sure when ford started using ifs.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not really in your area but who doesn't want an excuse to hit San Antonio

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/2980143760.html
Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go on the trucks gone wild forum or the kens truff truck forum people sell them all the time on the trucks gone wild forums
Old 04-29-2012, 12:57 PM
GIGGITY

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

My highboy is going to be a mud truck.

Depends what you're wanting to do. Mud drags, some rock crawling/get stupid with it, just have fun with, hit the bogs.

It's really how you want it. Do you want seriously big, or something that can make it through stuff street lifted trucks can't.

Once you get bigger than a 38-39" tire you'll want more than a Dana 44 for an axle.

Gears. You'll want low low low gears(high high high number).

You're looking for torque to turn those meats. So a normal street truck might have 4.56's for 37's. You'll want 4.88's minimum or maybe 5.18's.

Stuff like that. Everyone wants a bad *** motor, this is your excuse. Doesn't have to be legal, doesn't have to be quiet. Just build.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wondertwin1
My highboy is going to be a mud truck.

Depends what you're wanting to do. Mud drags, some rock crawling/get stupid with it, just have fun with, hit the bogs.

It's really how you want it. Do you want seriously big, or something that can make it through stuff street lifted trucks can't.

Once you get bigger than a 38-39" tire you'll want more than a Dana 44 for an axle.

Gears. You'll want low low low gears(high high high number).

You're looking for torque to turn those meats. So a normal street truck might have 4.56's for 37's. You'll want 4.88's minimum or maybe 5.18's.

Stuff like that. Everyone wants a bad *** motor, this is your excuse. Doesn't have to be legal, doesn't have to be quiet. Just build.
Just looking for a mud truck to have some fun it. Not looking to go that big, something around the 38-40" tires seems about what I would like to go. I possibly like to drive it every once in awhile on the street.

Most of the trucks I've been seeing on the TGW forums have been sitting on tractor tires which is way to big for what I need lol. Although they do look pretty sweet!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a Mud Truck