Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Looking to make my truck into an offroader!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to make my truck into an offroader!

Just looking for suggestions to beef up my truck, any opinions or ideas welcome
Attached Thumbnails Looking to make my truck into an offroader!-image-3318380581.jpg  
Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Just add: Lift/level for bigger tires, bigger tires, traction device(s), skid plates, off road lights. However if you wanna do some REAL off roading, keep that as your tow rig and get an SWB SLA rig.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Intended purpose or terrain and budget makes a big difference in what might be suggested.

I'd say the 3 big items to address are tires (33 or bigger AT/MT), clearance (aka a lift), and armor since all that stuff underneath is real expensive. Sliders would be great if since these trucks are pretty big for trails.

My first major mods on my new truck were 285/70r17 tires (33s), RCI full skid plate set, and a simple leveling kit. I will upgrade the suspension over time but needed some height right away.

Oh...and make sure you have plenty of recovery equipment like winch or come a long, jacks, traction boards, straps, shackles, etc.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Yup like everybody said, depends on your budget and type of offroading (if any actual offroading haha)

Differents lifts for different purposes.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

Not sure why my posted was deleted??

Last edited by Martian; 08-10-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: more advertising
Old 08-10-2016, 10:46 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Kits
Not sure why my posted was deleted??
Originally Posted by Lenn
Vendor Rules (updated 09AUG16)

We have recently had to update these rules due to some vendors exploiting the rather lax rules we've had in place and thereby causing some complaints. Please read and re-read them to ensure you're in compliance with these rules while using our forum as one of your showcases. Thank you in advance.

1) Vendors on F150Forum.com will be able to create threads in the Vendor Showcase sub-forum telling members about deals and specials they are having at their store/site.

2) Vendors are also allowed to make posts throughout F150Forum.com as long as their posts are on-topic and are not a blatant advertisement for their product or store. To expand upon this using the "Show of your pics of your XX truck" thread as an example- plastering images of vehicles running your company's products can be construed as blatant advertisement and thus be removed by staff if deemed fit. A user asking questions about a product and you (as a vendor) answering this question is encouraged. Answering this question and providing a link and/or pricing thru you (as a vendor) is also considered blatant advertisement. These advertisements are to be kept in the section specifically designed for them.

3) Vendors are also allowed to create two (2) threads in the Trades & Sales section of the site per month. ***Intentionally bumping your thread to keep it at the top of the showcase via the stereotypical "BUMP" post or replying to excessively old inquiry's under a veil to keep them at the top WILL not be tolerated and thus, this can cause for post/thread removal as deemed fit by staff.

4) Vendors are also allowed to have a link to their site in their signatures.

5) Only Vendors will be able to create threads in the Vendor forum, but all members will be able to respond in the threads.
The following users liked this post:
03f15012 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 01:55 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

... Now back to our regular scheduled programing...

As has been mentioned, the use will drive the equipment. But please don't make the mistake that "bigger is always better". About the worst thing you can do to your truck is to, >ahem< over-compensate a "shortage" by putting the tallest lift or the biggest tires on your truck. If you're truly interested in "off roading", then remember rule #1- the higher you lift, the worse your C.O.G. becomes. And rule #2- bigger tires ruins gear ratios. Both rules have a direct application and affect on your off road ability.

I've had my S-Crew cab on Class IV Jeep trails with little problem. I have a 2" level in the front (with Icon UCAs) and a 1" lift in the rear (via Deaver springs). I run 34" tires with 3.73 gears, factory E-Locker. Even though I have all the torque I need, if I ever had a rich uncle die, the first thing I'd do is swap the 3.73 gears out for 4.11s. But lets not kid around, my truck has a 145" wheel base. A Class V Jeep trail would just be out of the question for my truck. But I still have plenty of fun, as my truck is completely set up for overlanding, so even though she's a bit porky, Gertie will take me about anywhere I want to go.

2 things to remember: 1- keep it simple, and 2- Buy the Best and Cry Only Once. Remember those things and you should do just fine.

Have fun!

Old 08-12-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
... Now back to our regular scheduled programing...

As has been mentioned, the use will drive the equipment. But please don't make the mistake that "bigger is always better". About the worst thing you can do to your truck is to, >ahem< over-compensate a "shortage" by putting the tallest lift or the biggest tires on your truck. If you're truly interested in "off roading", then remember rule #1- the higher you lift, the worse your C.O.G. becomes. And rule #2- bigger tires ruins gear ratios. Both rules have a direct application and affect on your off road ability.

I've had my S-Crew cab on Class IV Jeep trails with little problem. I have a 2" level in the front (with Icon UCAs) and a 1" lift in the rear (via Deaver springs). I run 34" tires with 3.73 gears, factory E-Locker. Even though I have all the torque I need, if I ever had a rich uncle die, the first thing I'd do is swap the 3.73 gears out for 4.11s. But lets not kid around, my truck has a 145" wheel base. A Class V Jeep trail would just be out of the question for my truck. But I still have plenty of fun, as my truck is completely set up for overlanding, so even though she's a bit porky, Gertie will take me about anywhere I want to go.

2 things to remember: 1- keep it simple, and 2- Buy the Best and Cry Only Once. Remember those things and you should do just fine.

Have fun!
Good points about COG and lift height. I think 2 inches is good for these trucks to get the nose off the ground. Also, I've heard of a lot of people throwing 35s on their smaller rigs and then dropping back down to 32 or 33s since they lost power and maneuverability. Same concept with these. 35s are probably good but anything larger you're dealing with some other issues.

Last edited by overlandFX4; 08-15-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to make my truck into an offroader!