Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Looking to go off road!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to go off road!

I have a 2014 F150 XLT supercrew with the 3.7 2WD(yeah i know not the best engine) but im looking to make it into something i can do a little off roading in. its currently stock but what i want to is add larger rims and tires either 18s or 20s with larger tires and lift it some. This is my first time lifting a truck for off road stuff. I mainly work with making mustangs fast. but that got boring so im looking to that this venture on. from what ive gathered from people I know is get 20 inch rims with 33s and a 2.5-3 inch leveling kit and it should give me enough clearance so im not scrubbing my fenders. Like i said this is my first time lifting a truck so i dont know what all parts to buy rims, tire sizes, lift kits, leveling kits etc im used to lowering and making a stiffer suspension for 500+ hp mustangs so any help will be greatly appricated.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:46 PM
F150 Forum

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man. Glad to hear you're looking to get into offroading. I have a few mustangs as well. Going fast on pavement is fun, but going fast in the dirt is just a different experience.

My first two questions would be what exactly are you looking to do offroad and what is your budget?
You can start with a simple kit that will give you new 2.5" coilovers up front and rear 2.0 shocks. Throw on some method wheels and some new rubber and get at it.
You can step it up and add upper control arms, resi coil overs, piggyback bypass rear shocks, springs etc.
Let me know if you have any other questions

-James
Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

First is to mount a winch since you do not have 4x4... Lots of different types of off roading. Dirt roads, Mud, rocks, river beds, trails, dunes, etc? You need to know what you want to do.

Heck I've got a 4x4 and am too scared to venture off the beaten path alone with no winch.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What is your budget?

Contact Jordan Brenthel and he will get you taken care of.

http://www.bajakits.com/product-cate...rd/2009-20014/

Tell him JT sent ya.

JT
Old 08-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by winchested
First is to mount a winch since you do not have 4x4... Lots of different types of off roading. Dirt roads, Mud, rocks, river beds, trails, dunes, etc? You need to know what you want to do.

Heck I've got a 4x4 and am too scared to venture off the beaten path alone with no winch.
Yeah I wish I could have gotten a 4x4 but there wasn't any in my price range. But mostly trails and dirt roads. And I'm planning on getting off road bumpers and mounting a winch just in case haha
Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Westside Offroad Group
Hey man. Glad to hear you're looking to get into offroading. I have a few mustangs as well. Going fast on pavement is fun, but going fast in the dirt is just a different experience.

My first two questions would be what exactly are you looking to do offroad and what is your budget?
You can start with a simple kit that will give you new 2.5" coilovers up front and rear 2.0 shocks. Throw on some method wheels and some new rubber and get at it.
You can step it up and add upper control arms, resi coil overs, piggyback bypass rear shocks, springs etc.
Let me know if you have any other questions

-James
Mainly just trails and dirt roads. As for my budget I just buy parts as I go along but I have a starting budget of 1500 I was saving towards new rims and tires. My tires are a little above half tread life so waiting for them to need to be replaced so u can justify it with the wife lol. What size rims and tires would be good and not be to much for the 3.7? I'm going to retune it as soon as I get time to put on a CAI get a little more power out of it. Just curious has anyone seen any of these engines turbo or super charged? I know procharger makes a kit for 3.7 in mustangs I've played around with one made decent power. Just want a little more power I have another transmission cooler I'll be using to replace the OEM one running on its own fan.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jaytizzle
What is your budget?

Contact Jordan Brenthel and he will get you taken care of.

http://www.bajakits.com/product-cate...rd/2009-20014/

Tell him JT sent ya.

JT
I'll check them out thanks!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 AM
F150 Forum

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MT1992
Mainly just trails and dirt roads. As for my budget I just buy parts as I go along but I have a starting budget of 1500 I was saving towards new rims and tires. My tires are a little above half tread life so waiting for them to need to be replaced so u can justify it with the wife lol. What size rims and tires would be good and not be to much for the 3.7? I'm going to retune it as soon as I get time to put on a CAI get a little more power out of it. Just curious has anyone seen any of these engines turbo or super charged? I know procharger makes a kit for 3.7 in mustangs I've played around with one made decent power. Just want a little more power I have another transmission cooler I'll be using to replace the OEM one running on its own fan.
We run 17" wheels on our vehicles and that is by far the most popular size. We always like to run smaller wheels and more rubber. You could go up to an 18" if you like for looks. Additionally at this wheel/tire size you are paying alot less for them. You could stuff some 33s in there and be okay. Im sure we could get you some Methods with some good rubber for around 1500 if you wanted to start there. Conversely, for around that we could probably get you into some new 2.5 coilovers and 2.0 rears for near that. The shocks would go further towards performance but the wheel/tires would look badass!

Quick Reply: Looking to go off road!