Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Locking 8.8" Front Diff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Locking 8.8" Front Diff?

Hi all and TIA for all responses. I own a 1997 F250 4WD (under 8500 GVW) with 7-lug wheels (yes, 7 on 150mm bolt circle). This truck is a heavy-duty 1/2 ton F150 upgraded to 3/4 ton specs. This truck has the same 8.8 in. front differential as the F150 4WD. I'm planning to upgrade the rear 10.25 in. Sterling axle to the FRPP M4204-TT312 differential for better traction. I would also like to upgrade the front 8.8 in. differential to a torque biasing type like the TrueTrack or Torsen. Has anyone done this? My truck has automatic locking front hubs so I want to make sure what I'm planning will work. Thats why I'm posting this, to find out from other who tried this what works and what doesn't. Thanks, CobraRGuy (Perry)
Old 12-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Dark Overlord of Planet X

I wouldn't lock a front diff.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do you want to "lock" it or put a limited slip in it?
Tru-Tracks and Torsens are limited slips.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:31 PM

As I stated in my original post, I would like to put a Tru-Track or Torsen differential in front. This truck will see some occasions where the added traction in front will come in handy. My '95 Cobra R has a Torsen T-2R Racemaster differential in back and I love it on road courses. It's quiet, strong, and provides superior traction and differential action (which on a 600HP road course car is necessary). My assumption is the front 8.8 in diffs are 28-spline. Is this correct? I'd love to hear from anyone who has put a positive traction differential in the front of their F150 4WD. Thanks, Perry
Old 11-23-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by ray h
So do you want to "lock" it or put a limited slip in it?
Tru-Tracks and Torsens are limited slips.
Tru-Tracks and Torsens are actually "Torque Biasing" differentials. "Limited Slip" typically refers to either a cone or clutch type differential. Perhaps using "Locking" in my subject line was confusing. My apologies for that.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:22 AM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't think that anyone has installed one yet. I want to do the same thing, but I'm unsure about a limited slip in the front and how it would engage in corners. I am looking at e-lockers or ox-lockers, so I can choose when to lock my wheels together.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A selectable locker would be better in front. It will allow you to use 4x4 on the street and still be able to steer. A selectable can be turned off so you can turn with out skidding.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 AM

It will allow you to use 4x4 on the street and still be able to steer. A selectable can be turned off so you can turn with out skidding.
So would a limited slip or torque biasing diff.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericdg16
So would a limited slip or torque biasing diff.
I agree to that. Thy act like open diff tell a set deference is sensed between the 2 tiers then it sends more torque to the one slipping.
On thing thou, Torsion type is not recommended for tiers more that 33" tall, If i remember correctly.

Hears a like for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen
Old 11-29-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A limited slip will act like a locker unless you have enough friction/traction to overcome the preload in the clutches or gears in the differential. A biased sensing diff will still lock both wheels together. On a slippery street you may encounter a situation that will lock both front axles together and you will loose control. When this happens there is no way to unlock the axles. A selectable locker will act as an open differential but allow you to lock both wheels when needed.

Quick Reply: Locking 8.8" Front Diff?