Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Lift kits???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lift kits???

Hello. I have just signed up on the forum so, other than putting this same post in the general discussion section, this is my first post. I have a 2005 FX4 that I want to lift. I thought I wanted a body lift, but now I'm thinking that I want to get some ground clearance. My dad and I have the mechanical ability but we're new to suspension work of this type. When looking at lift kits, we are seeing everything from kits with shocks and a handful of parts for about $550 to kits with, what seems to be an extensive amount of parts, for as much as $2500. Of course I want to save money, but I want to make sure I get everything I need to do this right. Any help to get our mind in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Body lifts do nothing for clerance. They just put spacers between your body and frame so the only extra gain you get is the bigger tires. I'm not a fan of body lifts, I'm not saying they're crap but usually they're the weakest link and the first part to break. Not onmly that but they leave gaps and the bumper relocation kits aren't all that sturdy either.

A full suspension lift can be had for $1000. It's expensive but it's the best route as it doesen't sharpen the angles in your front end and helps keep it together longer. A levelling kit is another option (what I regretfully went with) as well that runs about $200 but will wear your front end down much faster.

Basically, a suspension lift is the "best" way. Rough country makes a good kit for $1000, you might be able to find a kit on craigslist or kijiji as well. I almost picked up a fabtech 6 inch for $600 but it was sold before I got a chance.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a body lift on my truck and they look okay but I wanted a suspension lift and at the time I didn't have the money but im about to get a suspension lift they look better
Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If u want the best ride for ur vehicle go with a suspension lift but stay away from fabtech lifts
Old 02-14-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

BDS 6" .... The ride is awesome but it wasn't cheap I am very happy with the final results and you get what you pay for
Attached Thumbnails Lift kits???-fx4-35s.jpg  
Old 02-14-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by orange dream machine
If u want the best ride for ur vehicle go with a suspension lift but stay away from fabtech lifts
why stay away from fabtech lift kits ??

Quick Reply: Lift kits???