Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Lift kit vs Leveling kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift kit vs Leveling kit?

Hi, I'm a newbie, I own a 2012 FX4 Ecoboost that I'm planning on setting up for off roading.

Someone on some other post I made recommended I do a 4" lift, in some other group someone said "putting a lift kit is not good for you truck going off road cause it messes something up", but that just a level kit would be better.

What do YOU guys recommend?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:55 PM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

A lift kit will keep the stock geometry in place. A leveling kit will put ball joints, control arms, and CV axles at extreme angles.
The following users liked this post:
llm_flyfisher (09-27-2020)
Old 05-16-2016, 01:09 AM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

A leveling kit is vastly different from a lift kit.
The only thing a leveling kit does is raise the front so its the same as the back....some people like them.
A lift actually lifts the whole truck.
I have a 4 inch long arm lift in my jeep and love it.
If you go up 4 inches buy a quality kit, not some junk.
This allows you to fit a taller tire for a little extra differential clearance, which is often the first part dragged when offroad.
llm_flyfisher (09-07-2020)
Old 05-16-2016, 01:16 AM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by WestsydeGuy
This allows you to fit a taller tire for a little extra differential clearance, which is often the first part dragged when offroad.
Don't be ridiculous, no one takes these trucks off-road...
WestsydeGuy (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 12:57 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JJM
Don't be ridiculous, no one takes these trucks off-road...
Lol....thanks for making me laugh.
Your correct that most don't ☺

A few of us do actually take ours offroad.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Eh you'll find advocates for both sides. But I think most agree a mid/long travel suspension kit is the far superior choice over a lift or level.

Lift kits and levels aren't so different from each other. Both use spacers or longer struts/coilovers to push the stock control arms down further. The difference is that a lift kit will relocate the differential and mounting points for the control arms leaving you with the same geometry as factory. A level will not do that and for that reason is only capable of giving you a certain amount of lift (try to stick within 2.5"). A level kit is much easier and cheaper to install (you can probably do it yourself with some garage tools and a jack), a lift kit requires cutting and much much more labor to install (leave that install for the professionals).

There is soo much that can go into this decision, how much offroading are you planning on doing? What kind of offroading are you planning on doing? What's your budget?
The following 3 users liked this post by berty:
Leukippes (05-16-2016), llm_flyfisher (09-07-2020), Tell (06-08-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

Exactly what berty said, how much offroading are you going to be doing? Do you have a budget in mind?

We have a Long Travel Prerunner kit and Long Travel Race kit available!

https://www.f150forum.com/f34/bajaki...u-need-327490/

PM, email or call me with any questions.

Thanks

JT
WestsydeGuy (05-16-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If you need 3" lift or below, Icon is a good brand. For bigger lift (6 inches or more), you can't go wrong with BDS and Procomp.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys! I'm a newbie too, & in a similar situation as OP - I have the exact same truck as OP, & am interested in getting new wheels & tires when my stock tires need replacing. I admittedly will not be doing very much extreme off roading (mostly just hauling scouts around on hikes & camping trips), but I am interested in leveling and/or lifting my truck as high as possible without doing any cutting or permanent modifications, to allow for the biggest mud tires that will fit. So, my questions are:

1. What size leveling kit should I get to get the least amount of rake without going nose up? I see a lot of people saying 2" or 2.5".

2. What is the max size tire I can use after leveled? I was told 33s at a tire store, but I also hear a lot of people saying 35s fit no problem without rubbing. I was thinking of going with Toyo Open Country M/Ts on 18 x 9 wheels, & would like to go as tall as I can without any body trimming or cutting, etc.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by ToppDog
Hi guys! I'm a newbie too, & in a similar situation as OP - I have the exact same truck as OP, & am interested in getting new wheels & tires when my stock tires need replacing. I admittedly will not be doing very much extreme off roading (mostly just hauling scouts around on hikes & camping trips), but I am interested in leveling and/or lifting my truck as high as possible without doing any cutting or permanent modifications, to allow for the biggest mud tires that will fit. So, my questions are:

1. What size leveling kit should I get to get the least amount of rake without going nose up? I see a lot of people saying 2" or 2.5".

2. What is the max size tire I can use after leveled? I was told 33s at a tire store, but I also hear a lot of people saying 35s fit no problem without rubbing. I was thinking of going with Toyo Open Country M/Ts on 18 x 9 wheels, & would like to go as tall as I can without any body trimming or cutting, etc.
2" will get you level. The Rough Country 2.5" level only gives a real lift of around 2" (atleast in my case and a few others)

Tire size.. How much trimming do you want to do? 33"s will always fit on stock wheels and a level. 34"s will usually fit on stocks with only rub possibly being on the UCA if the width is more than 11.6".
ToppDog (06-08-2016)

Quick Reply: Lift kit vs Leveling kit?