Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Lift kit + shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift kit + shocks

Got a few questions. I am in the process of having the front end of my truck lifted 2.5 inches to accomodate some new tires. Would like to get some good shocks for off-roading.

Is it wise or unwise to get a levelling kit AND new shocks?

What should I look for with shocks?

I live in the northeast and do my off-roading in fields and rocky, muddy mountain trails. Are there qualities I should look for or avoid in terrain like this?

Not really familiar with this kind of stuff yet, just looking for general buyer's info.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW, I have a 2007 XLT.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

you could just buy bilstien 5100 which will lift the front of hte truck and also give you the new shocks
Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 PM

If you don't get the Bilstein's, stock replacements are the best IMO.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 PM

I prefer Skyjacker Nitro brand shocks. The shocks are filled with nitrogen instead of oil. You will get a better reaction with nitro's during highway driving for a more comfortable ride. There is no negative to upgrading your shocks so long as they're rated for your truck weight and new lift kit. The downside to nitro's is once they go, if your coil springs or leaf springs are worn the truck will immediately sag to that wheel. The other thing to consider is how fast you are running the trails. Are you crawling or speeding through rough terrain? Depending on your speed you will want "softer" shocks that respond more quickly versus a more rigid shock which would be more well suited for towing. Think dirt racer versus rock crawler. Finally, when buying shocks you will need to know "collapsed length", "Extended length", and "Shock stroke". Good luck and please, tread lightly!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

x2 on the Skyjacker...not sure I'm impressed by Bilsteins if you're wanting to do any kind of off roading, this could happen:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/update...-5100s-154370/
Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DiggaTDawg
I prefer Skyjacker Nitro brand shocks. The shocks are filled with nitrogen instead of oil. You will get a better reaction with nitro's during highway driving for a more comfortable ride. There is no negative to upgrading your shocks so long as they're rated for your truck weight and new lift kit. The downside to nitro's is once they go, if your coil springs or leaf springs are worn the truck will immediately sag to that wheel. The other thing to consider is how fast you are running the trails. Are you crawling or speeding through rough terrain? Depending on your speed you will want "softer" shocks that respond more quickly versus a more rigid shock which would be more well suited for towing. Think dirt racer versus rock crawler. Finally, when buying shocks you will need to know "collapsed length", "Extended length", and "Shock stroke". Good luck and please, tread lightly!
Thank you very much. I am more into faster off-road driving and think that a more rigid shock would be ideal. I do drive this truck quite a bit over varying terrain(all kinds, really) and I am not interested in any serious crawling.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM

Thx for the pics jonbar! How did that happen(just curious)? Bilsteins seem to have a "German" premium tacked onto price tag, and I admit, their website is awfully convincing when it comes to making their products look like good quality.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If your into fast offroad driving then do yourself a huge favor, buy either fox, king or icon remote reservoir coil overs and be done with it an no more worries.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott701
Thx for the pics jonbar! How did that happen(just curious)? Bilsteins seem to have a "German" premium tacked onto price tag, and I admit, their website is awfully convincing when it comes to making their products look like good quality.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/update...-5100s-154370/
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Quick Queston, How do the bilsteins give you a lift?

Quick Reply: Lift kit + shocks