Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

leveling kit

Old 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Riding In The South

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default leveling kit

i have a 2000 with no coil springs and i found a leveling kit for my year truck now my question is how does it work it says you can use the leveling kit without putting your tortion keys up any. the only reason i want this is cause i want to bring the front of my truck up and lower my keys a little cause there maxed out so anyone know how these things work
Old 11-17-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give us a call toll free 877-274-9362. We can explain how they work.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Leveling kits" or torsion keys are simply re-indexed torsion bar keys. There’s a lot of selling gimmick ideas that go along with them and a lot of it is simple BS. If you have a truck, and you tighten your bars so it sits 2.5" higher then were you started (stock). If you get a "leveling kit" or re-indexed torsion keys and install them, and you set them so your truck is 2.5" higher then stock, being the exact same height as the first scenario, your torsion bars are still tightened the EXACT same amount and your truck WILL RIDE EXACTLY THE SAME with stock torsion keys cranked up, or with a re-indexed torsion key. It’s simple physics and anyone who says otherwise hasn’t a clue or is misinformed. I've seen adds stating that torsion keys will make your truck ride smooth like stock, yet allow lift. This is complete BS, as theres is no difference in using a re-indexed key from simply tightening the stock torsion key. NO DIFFERENCE. With that being said, if you max out your stock torsion bar keys and you still want more lift, the re-indexed keys will give you more room to crank on them. Keep in mind it will ride tighter, and you do not want to over tighten your suspension for a couple reasons. 1st being you have to have some droop travel in your suspension or the vehicle will simply be dangerous to drive. You don't want wheels loosing contact with the road and if you tighten the torsion bars to the point where there is little to no droop travel in some instances like uneven road surface, pot holes, or even small bumps will cause one of the front tires to not make contact with the road and make for some scary squirmy steering action. 2nd reason is you'll wear out suspension and axle joints out. They were not designed to run at those extreme angles all the time.

For what it’s worth, I just lifted my Navigator using re-indexed torsion keys. The stock truck had air ride, so the torsion bars are a lot softer than a standard Expedition without air ride, so I ran out of torsion adjustment with the stock keys and ordered re-indexed or "leveling" torsion keys. I have it set up so I have 3" of droop travel. Rule of thumb is 1/3 of your suspension travel should be droop or also called sag.

~Mike.................

Last edited by NaViG8R; 03-18-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leveling kit