Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Level kits 101

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Level kits 101

Can someone tell me the difference between a "spacer" and a "coil over" if there is one. looking to level (2") my 2016 FX4 and wonder if there is a preferred method. Read somewhere about most level kits placing stress on ball joints and other expensive sounding impacts. If these basics have already been covered - can you point me to an informative thread please.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

A spacer goes on top of your factory strut to lift the front end up.

A coilover replace your entire strut assembly and is ride height adjustable to lift the front end up.

This will come down to how your truck is being used how much $$ you want to spend.

The coilover, of course , would give you the best performance but it'll cost you.

Big price difference between the 2.

This is a picture of a strut with a spacer lift next to a Coilover - this is NOT a leveling kit set up ( lift kit ) but gives you an idea what the difference is...

Old 11-03-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much. So the coil over though more $$ (which is OK with me) is "better" and less likely to stress the rest of the front (stock) suspension and steering components? I want this for primarily for looks as I don't do a lot of off road. I read an online comment saying to stay away from level kits as they change the "geometry of the suspension system" and frequent adjustments are needed. Anyway thanks for your help - Obviously, I'm not a mechanic - just looking for the more aggressive look, with near-same (street) ride quality without messing up the rest of the front end components.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

They will both change the geometry of the suspension.