Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Just a quick dumb question, forgive me if I'm in the wrong thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just a quick dumb question, forgive me if I'm in the wrong thread!

I've recently taken the ownership of a 2010 F150 XLT 4.6L 3V completely stock. This is my first vehicle (I'm 19) and I've had it for about 5 months and I'm starting to get bored of looking at the stock chrome rims and bumper and was wanting to start purchasing cosmetic stuff such as tires/rims, brush guard, and whatever else I would wanna add. But i'm troubled since I have a 4.6L, will I look silly rocking all sorts of cosmetic features but having a small engine (compared to 5.4/5.7, respectively)? I don't care much about off-roading and probably will keep my truck a black top princess, but I just wanted some input. How much do you think I'll get hated on? And if you would like to share some ideas about what to add, please share them with me! I'm sort of on a budget, in between school, truck payment, phone bill, and guns, so I'm in search of budget rims and some off-road tires that look sick. Thanks!!! PS, I didn't know exactly where to post this! Sorry!!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

If I may be blunt my young friend, that is a high school problem.

Do what you want to YOUR truck and enjoy it

If you like some cosmetic upgrade do it. If it will stay on the pavement, so be it. I will laugh at your truck for that but that is not your problem

JK

But seriously, do what you want. It is certainly not what I would do but I am more practical. Many on here rock the pavement princess trucks and enjoy them everyday.

I would say, do what you want and not what you think others will like. Many have given me compliments on how my truck looks but it is built for what I use it for, hunting, fishing and hauling my TT deep in the woods. It performs those functions for me and apparently, to some, looks good doing it.

The following users liked this post:
TristanAD (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks, friend. I wouldn't really mind getting dogged out a whole lot, considering the fact I've been driving a (until now, thankfully!!) 1983 Nissan Datsun since I was 15. Completely rusted out bed, floor boards, no telling what else; my horse was charmed the lovely name Rusty. Coming from that, to a truck with only 68K miles in practically new condition, I could care less what someone may say to me. Thank you for your input, I greatly appreciate it! Do you have any advice on budget rims or tires? I've been looking online but would I have better luck going to a local shop or something? This is all so new to me. Thanks again for your kind words!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Mods to do

This is how she looked when I first got her

Like everyone else said who cares what everyone else thinks. Did everyone else purchase your truck? Lol i didn't think so but all that being said I have the same exact engine as you and when I got her she was all chromed out but with a little paint to match paint then you can make a fx4 easily. If you don't wanna spend a whole lot of wheels then go to Craigslist to find cheap stuff like I did. My options for upgrade would be paint to match all bumpers and emblems or swap for color match, black housing headlights/taillights, led interior lights, tow mirrors if that's your thing, wheels/mud or a/t tires, leveling kit, exhaust, then lastly the difference maker would be a tuner/programmer. To give you a idea I will post pics to show you the progress. It's easy to make your truck look good regardless of engine size. Post pics of your rig if you don't mind showing everyone.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

As above, keep an eye open on your Craigslist (Kijiji in Canada) for a good deal.

My wheels came from a used online source and were dirt cheap at $250 with well used Mickey Thompson Baja MT 33 x 12.50 x 17 tires. They needed some cleaning and will be repainted one day soon but that was cheap. I got two summers out of those tires before I bought my Cooper ST Maxx tires. A nice upgrade BTW.

Start searching around the forum to see what other people have done that you like to get some ideas. There is also that "What have you done under $100" thread for ideas on the cheap that make some nice aesthetic and/or practical upgrades. Some people on here are pretty creative.

Personally I like mostly practical add ons that make my truck more capable or more useful for my purposes, hunting, fishing, camping and generally hauling and towing. However I do like some purely aesthetic stuff too
Old 01-16-2017, 02:14 AM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Many hard core off roaders drive 4 cylinder jeeps that can mop the floor with our 400 hp modern engine trucks. Be proud that you have such a badass ride at your age. I had a Mazda 626....