Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

How to AVOID getting stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Rockport 4X4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to AVOID getting stuck?

Hey guys I went fishing this past week at Padre Island National Seashore, and managed to get stuck, and spent 6 hours digging myself out of a combination of sand/shell.

My truck is a 2008 F150 s'crew 4X4. I'm running 2011 XLT 4X4 wheels and tires (Goodyear Wranglers) and my truck is stock. I know this truck does not have locking differentials as the FX4 and Raptor does.

I managed to bury the truck all the way up to the bottom (I did a GOOD job), and after digging the wheels free, jacking up the rear of the truck, and placing a couple of 5 foot long 2X6's under the rear tires, I popped right out.

My question is, if I had locking differentials would I have avoided getting stuck or could I have UNSTUCK myself, or would I have made matters worse? What is the best way to set your truck up for running in soft sand/beach running, etc.?

FYI, I've driven this beach hundreds of times, and it's the first time I got stuck, so I was long overdue.

Thanks,
Osnola Kinnard
Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 PM
F150 on jooze

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My best piece of advice is to never go out alone or at least keep a phone with you
Old 10-08-2010, 02:17 PM

you could try airing your tires down in sand, not sure how much that would help with stock tires though
Old 10-08-2010, 02:19 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

You should have a limited slip in the rear axle, it's not as good as a locker, but you should still be able to have both rear tires spinning at the same rate. If you had a locker in the front, and stopped to engage it as soon as you started getting stuck, you might have been able to get out. A winch, rope, and shovel are your best friends otherwise.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Rockport 4X4

Originally Posted by streetassasin
My best piece of advice is to never go out alone or at least keep a phone with you
Welllll...there's no cell signal, and I was about 30 miles down the beach. My wife knows if she doesn't get a call from me by 5:30 PM, to come get me.

I carry a 'survival kit' for getting unstuck down there...tow strap, shovel, jack boards, etc. just for instances like I just had.

Digging in that shell is awful...you scoop it out, and half of it falls back in. All I know was, when I felt my tires grab those boards...I lit it up and flew out and didn't stop for about 1/2 mile before I turned around and got back on solid ground.

Osnola
Old 10-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Rockport 4X4

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
You should have a limited slip in the rear axle, it's not as good as a locker, but you should still be able to have both rear tires spinning at the same rate. If you had a locker in the front, and stopped to engage it as soon as you started getting stuck, you might have been able to get out. A winch, rope, and shovel are your best friends otherwise.
I thought I had a limited slip, but the thing was doing a one wheel peel in the sand...I was NOT happy.

Osnola
Old 10-08-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weird.. I would figure you have limited slip as well. Sounds like once you were stuck you were jus punching it digging urself deeper and deeper. Not what you want to do. As soon as you know your stuck you need turn those wheels and move back and forth. But hey if its your first time and youve been doing this drive a long time its all good. Bound to happen. Some bigger A/Ts would do you some good.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Rockport 4X4

Originally Posted by Big F150
Weird.. I would figure you have limited slip as well. Sounds like once you were stuck you were jus punching it digging urself deeper and deeper. Not what you want to do. As soon as you know your stuck you need turn those wheels and move back and forth. But hey if its your first time and youve been doing this drive a long time its all good. Bound to happen. Some bigger A/Ts would do you some good.

It stuck QUICK...I've actually driven in this spot a bunch of times, and I slowed down to check that spot out...when I did, I was up to my ***** in sand/shell...I never knew it would happen that fast.

Osnola
Old 10-09-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to run 15 psi in the sand with my stock tires. It actually does make a world of difference.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by imbho
you could try airing your tires down in sand, not sure how much that would help with stock tires though
Originally Posted by TheJMC
I used to run 15 psi in the sand with my stock tires. It actually does make a world of difference.
If there is a gas stations wiht an air compressor near by air down as low as possible. 10-15 psi should do it.

Quick Reply: How to AVOID getting stuck?