Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Horrible Ride After Installing Leveling Spacers

Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Ride After Installing Leveling Spacers

Wow! If I only knew installing the spacers for a leveling adjustment caused such a horrible ride I never would have installed them. Just ordered the SD leveling strut/spring adjustable tower. Spacers are not the way to go if you live in California and drive the freeways often. Will update once I install new strut towers. If anyone's looking for a set of leveling spacers you can have em. Haha....
Old 03-18-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

It uses the exact same spring and strut assembly it doesn't change the ride at all. You sure you got it aligned properly? Seems crazy my 2" kit didn't change the ride at all.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 PM

I'm almost positive. I had new wheels and tires put on the day after I leveled the truck. It's super stiff and feels like there is no give when hitting bumps at all. Even tried installing a steering kit. That helped with the wheel jerking but still super stiff in the front. Don't get me wrong I anticipated a ride difference but didn't expect it to be so rough. If you have any other ideas I'm open for suggestions.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by barettp
I'm almost positive. I had new wheels and tires put on the day after I leveled the truck. It's super stiff and feels like there is no give when hitting bumps at all. Even tried installing a steering kit. That helped with the wheel jerking but still super stiff in the front. Don't get me wrong I anticipated a ride difference but didn't expect it to be so rough. If you have any other ideas I'm open for suggestions.
Steering Kit? WTF is that?

Wheel Jerking?!?!? I have installed DOZENS of leveling kits from 1"-3" and that has NEVER been a issue!

What tire did you go with? Is it a E rated tire? Have you checked air pressure to see if they have way to much pressure in them. Installed correctly? Who did the install?

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 03-18-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It's more likely you're having an issue with your new tires and maybe the alignment. I leveled my Supercrew Lariat with 2" spacers without changing the tires and it didn't change how smooth the truck rides at all.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by skoryd
It's more likely you're having an issue with your new tires and maybe the alignment. I leveled my Supercrew Lariat with 2" spacers without changing the tires and it didn't change how smooth the truck rides at all.
ditto
Old 03-18-2015, 11:25 PM

The shop called it a steering kit. It's actually a steering stabilizer or dampner. When I would hit a pot hole or decent bump the wheel would jerk left or right. The stabilizers took care of that problem. Tire pressure makes sense. I would think a tire shop would properly inflate and mount my wheels but could be wrong.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 PM
Custom User Title!

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Did the shop align the truck and give you a spec sheet to show the new alignment? I've never heard of anyone running steering stabilizers on a leveling kit, ever. I'm betting it's a combination of your tire pressure and the alignment.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:04 AM

Didn't give me anything but a hefty bill. The stabilizers I was told were needed because of the tire size. It definitely helped. Probably should have waited on the new wheels and tires till the lift goes on. I picked up a set of Nitto Mud Grapplers 18" wheel 35" tire. Truck needed new tires and I didn't want to buy twice. Gonna check psi in the am and find out if they did alignment.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Can you post a pic of the steering kit. Honestly never seen one for a Rack and Pinion steering, I'm sure someone makes one those but those normally day not for trucks with Electric Rack and Pinion!

You should need one! I have run 38X15.50s that when mounted were 160lbs"ish" each and never had one. With proper balance, proper alignment, proper install and proper pressure you shouldn't ever need one.

One two different trucks I ran 37X12.50s and never needed one.

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 03-19-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horrible Ride After Installing Leveling Spacers