Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Help with 33's

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 33's

Howdy everybody, I've got myself a 1994 4x4f-150 flareside with the stock 15" rims and am wondering if I'll be able to fit some 33" tires w/o any modifications to the height of the truck.

Just cause if I could get away with just the tires and no lift that would be some extra cash saved.

thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Fords r us

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by James_G
Howdy everybody, I've got myself a 1994 4x4f-150 flareside with the stock 15" rims and am wondering if I'll be able to fit some 33" tires w/o any modifications to the height of the truck.

Just cause if I could get away with just the tires and no lift that would be some extra cash saved.

thanks
i'd have look at it to know for sure (and measure, jack up, etc.) but i would be surprised if 33's would go on and not hit somewhere, sometime. for that matter, i'd be surprised if they'd go on at all. that you can check - get a ruler & see how far apart the trailing and leading edges of the fenders are at the hub center. it's not enough, but it's a start.
there's a chart in the 4wheeler's bible that should help.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Joethefordguy
i'd have look at it to know for sure (and measure, jack up, etc.) but i would be surprised if 33's would go on and not hit somewhere, sometime. for that matter, i'd be surprised if they'd go on at all. that you can check - get a ruler & see how far apart the trailing and leading edges of the fenders are at the hub center. it's not enough, but it's a start.
there's a chart in the 4wheeler's bible that should help.
After checking with the measuring tape I've got 16 and 3/4 inches of a radius from the center of the rim. Seems a bit close as 33"s will need 16 1/2 inches of clearance.

I put a pair of 31"s up against the truck and just couldn't help but think I could do a bit bigger
Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Fords r us

After checking with the measuring tape I've got 16 and 3/4 inches of a radius from the center of the rim. Seems a bit close as 33"s will need 16 1/2 inches of clearance.

I put a pair of 31"s up against the truck and just couldn't help but think I could do a bit bigger
and remember, that's just standing still. you're going to need clearance at full lock in both directions, and at full compression and droop, all at speed.

and why are you measuring tires at 1 in the AM? dude, get a life! i thought i was bad!

oh, wait - you're married, aren't you? yeah, me too. my garage is my refuge...

if you never hear from me again, she read this...
Old 05-15-2010, 02:33 AM

and remember, that's just standing still. you're going to need clearance at full lock in both directions, and at full compression and droop, all at speed.

and why are you measuring tires at 1 in the AM? dude, get a life! i thought i was bad!

oh, wait - you're married, aren't you? yeah, me too. my garage is my refuge...

if you never hear from me again, she read this...
Dang, maybe with some fender modifications I'll be OK.

Haha, actually I'm just 17, It's my first full size pickup though and what can I say, I'm still a little bit over excited

haha, "I am still a man, I am still a man, I am still a man..."
Old 05-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Fords r us

...haha, "I am still a man, I am still a man, I am still a man..."
man, that hurts... on the other hand, someday you'll meet the girl, and then... hehehe.... you're gonna get yours!

seriously, though, don't depend on fender mods. you've got to clear the suspension, frame and steering at the extremes of wheel travel. fender mods will let you install a tire that will never work. you may have to do fender mods to get what you want, but it may (probably) not be enough.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:19 PM

man, that hurts... on the other hand, someday you'll meet the girl, and then... hehehe.... you're gonna get yours!

seriously, though, don't depend on fender mods. you've got to clear the suspension, frame and steering at the extremes of wheel travel. fender mods will let you install a tire that will never work. you may have to do fender mods to get what you want, but it may (probably) not be enough.
haha just playin man
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Just go for 31s. I was a firm believer in wanting 33s for a 4x4 height one of our trucks, till I went offroad with my friend and his Wrangler on 33s. They have roughly the same tire/fender clearances as our trucks, and luckily he has plastic fenders(basically) because those tires were just eating them up on any bump. If you go with the 31s, your suspension is still gonna be able to move and work. 33s are just gonna have the tire rubbing on the fender over even a speedbump. And I don't know about you, but I like my fenders/tires not to be all cut up and ugly looking.

But if you're dead set on 33s, roll your fenders.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 PM
zukes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 33 on my 95 and 92, 1 inch wheel spacers and either cut a little on the bumper for push your bumper up and shim it out about an inch and youll be fine, the only rubbing i get is when im in reverse and turn then the tire hits the bumper a little, but other then that ull be fine