Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

halogen vs led

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default halogen vs led

Anyone know which are brighter? I know that if you get 100 watt lights they will be about the brightest you can get but I dont want to overload my alternator. Im debating between these 2 but am not sure which would be brighter. I am planning on getting 4 total and mounting them on my headache rack.

Hella halogens: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TWD5KU...I2059A3KDNTZZA

LEDs: https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Light...4JS7CY1RK&th=1

I dont really care about ease of installation or anything other than which would be brighter. Thanks for all the help and any input is appreciated.
-Joe
Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

What most people don't consider is output lumens. They all look at wattage. As an example, look closely at the LED lights. Notice the size of the reflector(s); or I should say the difference in size of the reflectors. Most LED lights utilize those tiny little 1/2" reflectors. They limit the output lumens. Now notice the size of the Hella reflector (parabolic). The magnification of light output from the light source is immense.

I have 2-6" Rigid LED lights behind my grill. I thought I'd try them out. All they do is make my high beam's light output brighter, with very little actual increase in useable light. I compare these to the set (or each) of old fashioned KC Daylighters. 4 mile reflective range. No LED can do that. Yes, halogens use more power. But what do you want out of a light, cool looks or real performance?

I would suggest you look into any light (halogen or LED) with a large parabolic lens, like JW Speaker, KC or Light Force. I personally like what Lightforce offers, and what they do for off road lighting needs. (I'm saving my pennies to get some 170s). LED and halogens aren't your only choices. HIDs are also a choice. The bad news is, that they are so bright, you can ONLY use them off road. I mean they are ridiculously bright!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STingray1300
What most people don't consider is output lumens. They all look at wattage. As an example, look closely at the LED lights. Notice the size of the reflector(s); or I should say the difference in size of the reflectors. Most LED lights utilize those tiny little 1/2" reflectors. They limit the output lumens. Now notice the size of the Hella reflector (parabolic). The magnification of light output from the light source is immense.

I have 2-6" Rigid LED lights behind my grill. I thought I'd try them out. All they do is make my high beam's light output brighter, with very little actual increase in useable light. I compare these to the set (or each) of old fashioned KC Daylighters. 4 mile reflective range. No LED can do that. Yes, halogens use more power. But what do you want out of a light, cool looks or real performance?

I would suggest you look into any light (halogen or LED) with a large parabolic lens, like JW Speaker, KC or Light Force. I personally like what Lightforce offers, and what they do for off road lighting needs. (I'm saving my pennies to get some 170s). LED and halogens aren't your only choices. HIDs are also a choice. The bad news is, that they are so bright, you can ONLY use them off road. I mean they are ridiculously bright!
Yes, but how about the lifespan? I would prefer the Led lights as they last longer than halogens,
Old 01-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

I use a combination of all three. I have a set of PIAA 2100i fog lights in the lower grill opening. On my brushguard I have both HID and LED POD lights installed. The HID's are PIAA RS600 6" driving lights, Mega Bright and long range. Draw back is warm up time. The LED's are PIAA LP570 7" driving lights.The HID's are good for off road, or on those long dark lonely roads late at night. The LED driving lights are not as bright or have the range of the HID's, but I can instantly turn them on/off without fear of damage. My PC is on the fritz so I'm on my lap top. I'll try to post a pic of the LED driving lights on. You can go to my albums to see a few more.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I've been through alot diffrent lights. I had two Hella Black Magics which looked nice, but i was never thrilled with their output (using 55w bulbs) I ended up retro fitting HIDs into my regular driving lights..great upgrade from stock. I also installed Orange Rigid Industries D2's in the stock fog location...i love how they increase visibility in bad weather.

Now I ended up replacing the 2 Hella's with 4 7 inch round LED off roads from amazon, i was shocked at how bright they were..and waterproof ;-) I have them mounted behind an aftermarket grill...its all on 2010 fx4

here are the 4 lights i used...

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Light...d+7+inch+round

its been a while...but i think i got 2 flood and 2 spots..and they are hooked up to my highbeam trigger
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

I love the look of the old school Hella round halogen lights, but for your money you get a lot more for LED. The warranties are better. The lights last a LOT longer. The lumen output is a LOT more since LED's don't call for a lot of power, you can fit a lot more in the same size housing.

That's why all the light bars you see, are LED. You're even finding the old school ROUND look with LED options.

If you want a good quality light, check out Baja Designs. They are based out of CA and build everything in the USA (they actually build most of their products to order, takes them about 1-2 days not bad). Replaceable EVERYTHING. If a bulb ever dies, you can replace it. Want amber instead of white, you can replace it. Want a wide lens over a spot... replace it.

Good stuff, VERY BRIGHT. NOT cheap though. It's about up there along the lines of what Rigid costs, but it's good stuff.

LED light bars are a dime a dozen as you have probably seen on amazon. If you can afford the quality, buy the quality. If you can't, buy something with great reviews that will last and won't fog up or get water (there are bars out there).

Want circle lights... a few companies make the round style with LEDs.

Don't just buy something CHEAP. Spend the money on quality. It'll be worth it in the end when you never have to replace the light.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by monsterwheel
Yes, but how about the lifespan? I would prefer the Led lights as they last longer than halogens,
Lifespan? How many actual hours do you run off road lights? I had 4 KC Daylighters on my old Scout for over 5 years; I never changed a single bulb. And, if I would've had to, 5 minutes and it's changed. BTW, I used 100w bulbs, not 55w bulbs. (55w bulbs are street legal = yuck for off roading)
Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

I had some PIAA lights on my old truck for about 6-7 years, still worked the day I sold them (old halogen). I never used them much though.

Halogen are filiment so the more you turn them on and off the less the life span. LED's don't matter, no filiment.

I'd go with LED's you get more lumen as I said for the money and you can get them in almost any configuration. I'm actually pricing out 2 pairs of Rigid D2's for my truck right now. Replacing the factory fogs with a pair of white and amber (so 4 lights)
Old 01-06-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the great information everyone I really appreciate it. After thinking about it more I've narrowed it down to 2 and I know I will be happy with either when I decide to buy them in the future.
HIDs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JBIDDLA...I1ZB9UUW6OAT3N

LEDs: https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Light...d+7+inch+round

will probably pull for the HIDs eventually if I have the money unless I decide I dont want to spend that much. Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a '12 Polaris Ranger 800HD. I use it at my place in West Virginia. I have a whole array of Rigid LED lights on it. On the brushguard I have a set of the E-series 6" driving lights. On the front of the cab I have a set of the SR-M2 mini driving lights that I have aimed off to the side so I can see around bends when I approach. Before I did that it was hard to see other than directly in front. I have two sets of Spot lights mounted on top of the cab. The inner ones are the D2 Hyperspots, and the outer are the Dually Spots. The inner are aimed at a center point, and the outer spot lights are aimed a bit to the sides. That combination of the spot lights are perfect for long range when riding around the mountain at night. I also have a set of the mini lights mounted on the rear for back up lights. here are a few pics. The first two pics are of with just the SR-M2 mini lights on. The next pic is with the mini lights, and the outer spot lights on. Then the same with the center hyperspot on as well. Then another with the mini lights and the outer spots on approaching a bend. Then a couple of the Buggy.
Attached Thumbnails halogen vs led-16nov21_0173aw.jpg   halogen vs led-16nov21_0219aw.jpg   halogen vs led-16nov21_0019aw.jpg   halogen vs led-16nov23_0104aw.jpg   halogen vs led-16nov21_0182aw.jpg  

halogen vs led-16oct05_0010dw.jpg   halogen vs led-16oct27_0070aw.jpg