Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Off-Road Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Flatlander
 
smurfs_of_war's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 354
Thanked 243 Times in 174 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraLargeTall

So close! I've thought about getting some put just can't convince myself. I'm offroad all the time but no rock crawling or anything, just farm roads
I ordered one from him after I bounced off a stump and put a baseball sized dent in my oil pan while I was out fishing. If you're thinking about it, it's definitely worth it. Cheap insurance to me
__________________
I drive a goat now...
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
Nicer than ymeski56
 
XtraLargeTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado/Curtis, NE
Posts: 21,695
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 136
Thanked 436 Times in 318 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war

I ordered one from him after I bounced off a stump and put a baseball sized dent in my oil pan while I was out fishing. If you're thinking about it, it's definitely worth it. Cheap insurance to me
Ouch. Maybe after I finish up my current mods, it's a pavement queen lately
XtraLargeTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
Member
 
tandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver, the one in Canada, eh
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodburbon View Post
You get a cooler sticker
Which a number of FX4 owners remove. (Guilty)

When I bought mine the main advantage was it was the only truck that had pretty much everything I wanted but nothing that I didn't want to pay for in the Lariat (8" display / navigation primarily). I wanted tow / 3.73 / flow through console / leather / appreciated the shocks and looks (except the sticker) and the bundle came in some thousands less than a Lariat would have.

We rough-road not so much off-road but even still I'll probably update the skid plates. I can think of a few hairy roads on the way to remote towers I used to help maintain where some extra protection would be advisable.

One thing I don't like on the FX4 is the stock tires (Pirelli Scorpion ATR 20") but neglected to consider that before signing on the dotted line.
__________________
2012 5.0L V8 Super Crew FX4 "Ghostie"
1992 4x4 5 Speed "Big White" - gone
tandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandem View Post
Which a number of FX4 owners remove. (Guilty)

When I bought mine the main advantage was it was the only truck that had pretty much everything I wanted but nothing that I didn't want to pay for in the Lariat (8" display / navigation primarily). I wanted tow / 3.73 / flow through console / leather / appreciated the shocks and looks (except the sticker) and the bundle came in some thousands less than a Lariat would have.

We rough-road not so much off-road but even still I'll probably update the skid plates. I can think of a few hairy roads on the way to remote towers I used to help maintain where some extra protection would be advisable.

One thing I don't like on the FX4 is the stock tires (Pirelli Scorpion ATR 20") but neglected to consider that before signing on the dotted line.

Unfortunately i was unable to purchase what I actually wanted. Ford didn't think I should be allowed to choose which options I want (all automakers are guilty of this lately)

Leather, folding bench, ecoboost, seat heaters, locking rear, 36 gallon tank, actual off road tires, 3.73, tow package, rubber floor mats (it's a truck after all), A/C, Sirius.


Is that too much to ask for? Apparently it is.
goodburbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodburbon View Post
Unfortunately i was unable to purchase what I actually wanted. Ford didn't think I should be allowed to choose which options I want (all automakers are guilty of this lately)

Leather, folding bench, ecoboost, seat heaters, locking rear, 36 gallon tank, actual off road tires, 3.73, tow package, rubber floor mats (it's a truck after all), A/C, Sirius.


Is that too much to ask for? Apparently it is.

Or a clutch pedal.
CapnRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Member
 
tandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver, the one in Canada, eh
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedneck View Post
Or a clutch pedal.
+100.

I miss my standard F-150.

(My wife doesn't though...)
__________________
2012 5.0L V8 Super Crew FX4 "Ghostie"
1992 4x4 5 Speed "Big White" - gone
tandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 229
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraLargeTall View Post
No limited slip in the front of any of them although it would be nice.

....
Actually, there is a brake based electronic limited slip on both axles. Do not discount the huge difference this feature makes. It makes the F150 a truck 4X4.
__________________
2013 F150 XLT SCAB 4x4 w/3.73's, Rousch CAI, Resonator Bypass
Traded my excellent 2011 F150 - Vehicle #10, and the best I have owned.
2011 F150 SCAB 4X4 3.7 w/3.73's
Rousch CAI
isthatahemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
Nicer than ymeski56
 
XtraLargeTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado/Curtis, NE
Posts: 21,695
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 136
Thanked 436 Times in 318 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatahemi

Actually, there is a brake based electronic limited slip on both axles. Do not discount the huge difference this feature makes. It makes the F150 a truck 4X4.
2011+ but I wasn't aware it's in the front axle too
XtraLargeTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
I eat pork skins everyday
 
OkaloosaFX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Okaloosa County, Florida
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

It's just a preconfigured off road model with some luxuries as most have said. To me, it's a statement buy. You are saying to the Ford world that you are a serious truck enthusiast but you also appreciate luxury in a pickup truck. The Lariat 4x4 (IMHO) is a beautiful piece of machinery and one that I would ever be hesitant to truly take off road. A Lariat 4x4 covered in mud just doesn't look right to me, lol. But an FX4 covered in mud looks right at home. I will forever buy FX4s God willing Ford continues to make them. Best model F150 ever made but of course I am extremely biased.
__________________
325/65/18 Toyo Open Country ATs * 18X9 XD Series Cranks * Rough Country 2.5" Level Kit * 40-Series Flowmaster SIDO with chrome duals * 4.56 Yukon gears on both diffs * SCT X3 programmer with custom tunes from Mike at 5star (87perf, 87econo, 93perf) * S&B CAI * EBC 6000/7000 brakes and rotors
OkaloosaFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Senior Douchebag
 
lariut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Reeferside
Posts: 2,099
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Don't forget the lariat and above models have the 2 speed four wheel drive transfer case so you can chooses 4a 4h & 4l. fx4 and below only have 4h & 4l. Something else to consider
lariut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.