Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

FX2 (locking rear) vs FX4 (4x4)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FX2 (locking rear) vs FX4 (4x4)?

I have always owned 4x4 and just recently I decided to swap in my 06' Fx4 for a newer model. Since i travel more for work and find less time for being off road i decided to go with an FX2 instead of the FX4.

Even though i have yet to need the 4x4 I dont feel as comfortable in my choice as I did when I made it. I probably used 4x4 maybe 5 times a year and it was only little situations. Nothing major.

So i guess im on here looking for some reassurance in my choice and to see how useful the locking rear is in a sticky situation. I like to hear some stories of how it actually helped or didnt help. I know it doesnt compare to the full 4x4 but it is better than nothing i think. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Even if you don't use 4x4, the resale is far better on a 4 wheel drive truck and they're in higher demand. Plus a 2 wheel drive with a locker out back will go lots of places but an equally equipped 4 wheel drive will go the same places and when the 2 wheel drive gets stuck the other guy puts his truck in 4 wheel drive and keeps going.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

Sounds like it's a little late to worry about that

4x4 is like an insurance policy... 99% of the time, you pay for nothing and won't need it... but one day you'll be glad you have it

i'd think decent tires would be even more important on a 4x2 if you go off-road.

good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Steve Osborne (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 07:20 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

my xlt is 4x4 with eld...
i used the eld today on ice.. it got me out and into the backyard..later after plowing went to move it back to the driveway...nope eld didn't help... 4x4 was the rescue...and i have winter tires on...studded may have helped..
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecopat
Sounds like it's a little late to worry about that

4x4 is like an insurance policy... 99% of the time, you pay for nothing and won't need it... but one day you'll be glad you have it

i'd think decent tires would be even more important on a 4x2 if you go off-road.

good luck!

yes your right. It is a little to late to be worrying about it but it does ease anxiety a little to hear others say the locking rear does help in minor situation. Which is really all im going to allow something I hold very dear to my heart get into. Im sure you all understand. I plan on the next set of tires being more aggressive so that definitely should help. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 91 Likes on 86 Posts

I know it's not the same model. But I had mud tires and a traction device in the rear end of my 98, and I went all kind of places a 2wd shouldn't have ever been and I did just fine. I used to actually take it out to some mud parks and mud ride with it. In stuff way more gnarly than normal 4x4 truck use. So from what you are saying it sounds like with a locker and some decent tires you will be more than fine if you drive smart.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

If you can drive and you have a good locker and tires and your buddy with a 4 wheel drive and an open rear who can't drive is with you you can probably go the same places. Two equal trucks and drivers though, one 4 wheel drive and one 2 wheel drive and the 4x4 will go many more places. We have a few spots like a local mountain that you 100% need 4 wheel drive to make it up or you aren't going. I've seen guys try but unless you have a 4x4, you won't make it. I'm sure there's lots of spots like that but really, if you can drive and you have a good 2 wheel drive setup you can leave some 4 by 4's in the dust.

Quick Reply: FX2 (locking rear) vs FX4 (4x4)?