Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

front or rear differental

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front or rear differental

Ive been thinking on locking the front end of my 95 f150 this is my daily driver so i dont know if i should lock the front or back ive been told that if you lock the rear end its hard on the gears when your going around a corner cause one wheel spins faster than the other any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well a locker will have a switch to lock/unlock it. You won't want to drive on the road with it locked because yes then the tires will move different speeds and your tires will wear pretty bad and squeal everytime you turn. Unlocked the locker acts just like your stock differential.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

there are two types of lockers

spool (fully locked all the time) and a selectable locker (powered electrically, mechanically, or by air)

you would NOT want to run a full spool in the front of a daily driver...ever.. you wont be able to turn properly.

you CAN run a fool spool in the rear but you will squeal around corners like stated above.

your best bet for the rear is the Detroit Tru Trac limited slip, it has no clutches or parts to wear out and will "lock up" by torque bias when you need it, but will allow streetability.

Eaton E-locker for the front is a electronically selectable locker (open or full spool) ARB makes an air locker as well (requires lines, compressor, air tank etc)

i run both of these in my truck and theyre great.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

If you have manual hubs, you can run a spool in the front without a problem, because the tires will freewheel when the hubs are not engaged. Then when you engage them it'll be completely locked

Quick Reply: front or rear differental