Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Fox 2.0 Coilovers-With Limited Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fox 2.0 Coilovers-With Limited Lift

I'm considering purchasing Fox 2.0 coilovers. I would like to keep the stock height, or maybe limit it to only 1 inch of level. I need a better ride on washboard roads.

Questions:
1) Are new upper control arms recommended to reduce wear on the ball joint if I limit the coilover lift to stock or 1" of leveling?

2)Is there any downside to limiting the coilover height to stock or 1 inch?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't really care if my truck is level really, but I'd like to improve the ride and handling characteristics. So swapping Fox 2.0 in at all 4 corners or something like it and keeping the stock height seems appealing.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

You should be fine with the stock ball joints at factory or 1". A lot of people run a 2.0 or 2.5 level spacer with stock ball joints and have no issue. Your angles should not be a issue at 1". Stock ball joints/arms are cheap if you do have issues down the road. The new upper control arms get pricey. Hopefully more will chime in for you guys. Should be fine.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

Don't worry, you are well within the safe travel zone with only 1" of level. Anything you damage at that point would have been damaged just the same at stock height. Your ball joint and CV angles will be perfectly reasonable.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Awesome, I was wondering the same thing.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:41 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Height of your truck is up to you. The only reason to level or lift (in practical terms) is to be able to fit larger tires. The lower you keep your truck, the better it will off road (think: "center-of-gravity").

Now, you mention my absolute nemesis: washboard. I HATE the stuff! Just this week we did Saline Valley Rd in Death Valley - poster child for washboard roads I will tell you, that the factory UCAs are basically metallic spaghetti, little more. If you want your suspension to "work", and work well, the UCAs will need to be upgraded. But you can decide on that when you roast your factory ones.

A good shock (BOSS, Fox, King, Icon, etc...) will increase your stability on said roads. However, the best way to do washboards is by reducing the size of your rims (to 17", e.g.) and stuffing the tallest sidewalled LT tires you can on those 17s. Then, air them down to 20-25psi (at the most). Now the last detail is an absolute must: you must do 40-50mph. Uh, I'm not kidding. At that speed, your teeth have a real good chance to stay in your head on washboard roads.

HTH!
The following 2 users liked this post by STingray1300:
Pugga (03-24-2017), Rk3 (04-08-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TedBell
I'm considering purchasing Fox 2.0 coilovers. I would like to keep the stock height, or maybe limit it to only 1 inch of level. I need a better ride on washboard roads.

Questions:
1) Are new upper control arms recommended to reduce wear on the ball joint if I limit the coilover lift to stock or 1" of leveling?

2)Is there any downside to limiting the coilover height to stock or 1 inch?

Thanks!
1. No. Uniball UCAs provide increased range of motion and a more "robust" upper joint. If you're not wheeling hard, and you're working with a stock travel shock there is really no point in adding a uniball arm.

2. No. In fact, too much lift leaves you with little to no droop travel which makes your truck ride like crap when going over bumps. I have the fox 2.5s and have pretty much lowered them to about 1-1.5 inches of lift just to get enough droop to keep the tires from catching daylight underneath when ripping down rough trail.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the Fox 2.0 coilovers installed and they make a big difference on the washboard roads. I had them set the height at 1" - the dealer couldn't get them set at stock height. I passed on new UCAs.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 AM
2015 F150 Guy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm running the ICON 2.5s all around and HIGHLY recommend them. I wrote it up in "questions about icon coilovers" or similar thread. The ride is firm, but quiet and smooth. Yes, there's more road feedback, but they float over cobblestones, potholes, highway storm drains and anything else you can throw at them. The truck carves turns and holds a line thru corners like a sport sedan. The only regret I have is NOT getting the CDCVs up front. I have them in the rear and they ROCK! I'm running them on #4. The truck corners flat as a board.

Look>Fox 2.0 fronts are $1000. ICON 2.5s $1300 It's a NO BRAINER.

The rears are another story. Fox 2.0s are $250. Icon 2.5s are $1000 for the basic unit and $1300 for the CDCVs. If you're set on the 2.5s, you HAVE to go for the extra $300 and get the CDCV. I'm running mine at #4 and LOVE 'em. You have to make up your mind if the 2.5s are worth the extra gelt. I had both and highly recommend the 2.5s. My Foxes are for sale. 2000 miles on 'em, 90% highway.

If you're near NY, come drive mine. Oh, and I'd like to sell my 2.5s to upgrade to the CDCV.

Sorry, I didn't do any measurements, but here's what. My brand new FX4 cleared my garage header by less that 1". One year and 12K later, my clearance was 2.5"! After installing the 2.5 fronts(Foxes in the rear), it's back to where it was when new. I haven't had it inside since installing the 2.5 rears. It looks about the same tho. Overall, I think I lost a fraction of the rake. I don't care either way. It's my garage clearance that interests me.

TomJV

Here's the link, but read the whole thread, there's good info there:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/quest...2/#post5220170

Last edited by tomjv; 03-28-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 145 Likes on 58 Posts

Tom, do you have any pictures of your setup? Also, how much did you have to adjust your coil over out of the box to maintain stock height? It sounds like your setup is right down my alley. I've had good luck with Kings in the past and they are a bit cheaper than the Icons, but haven't heard any reviews. Thanks!