Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Driving 60 miles on Padre Is. beach - what tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Driving 60 miles on Padre Is. beach - what tires?

Padre Island National Seashore has a 60 mile long beach.

Detailed map at:

http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisi...d/PAISmap1.pdf

I've got a stock 2010 F-150 4WD Platinum with (stock) low profile Pirelli Scorpion tires. I've driven on the hard packed sand on the Galveston Island beaches with no problem, but 2WD vehicles were also driving on those beaches.

The note on the map at the 5 mile post says 4WD vehicles only beyond this point. Will I need to change the stock wheels for wider or bigger diameter tires for 4 wheeling 60 miles along the beach on Padre Island?

Maybe I can get away with just lowering the air pressure in the stock tires to 25 psi for better traction in the loose sand. But too many miles at low pressure could ruin the tires for highway use at the normal 37 psi.

Is this a beach drive that can be done solo, or is it recommended to partner with another 4WD vehicle in case one gets stuck?

Other than a tow strap, what "vehicle rescue" stuff would you bring along?

Last edited by SailorDon; 01-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What size are your tires exactly? You should be alright with anything over say 45 aspect ratio.

I've been dune riding in loose sand before. Air your tires down to 12 psi as soon as you hit the sand. If you notice a lot of bounce / wheel hop, drop pressure one pound at a time until it goes away or you hit 8 psi. Don't go any lower or you will probably pop a bead. If you go slow and don't have the truck loaded down, you shouldn't hurt the tires.

60 miles is a long way by yourself, I would definitely recommend going with at least one friend and bring along a 30k lb rated tow strap with a couple of pin shackles. Make sure you have a good spare and at least a portable air compressor to air the tires back up for rocks or hard pack sand. Also, a can of hairspray and a lighter if you absolutely have to pop a bead back on.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by BigIrish
What size are your tires exactly? You should be alright with anything over say 45 aspect ratio.
The tires are Pirelli Scorpion ATR P275/55R X 20 with 12,000 mostly highway miles on them.

Using 4WD, the stock tires worked OK in 18" of snow in the Princeton, NJ during the 2010 Winter Storm. But deep, soft sand is a different animal.

If a wider and/or larger diameter tire is better for sand, I would plan to buy a set of 4 mounted to appropriate rims. When I'm ready to drive the beach, I swap out the 4 "highway" wheels for the "sandy service" beach wheels.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have the finances for it, get a set of 17" or whatever is the smallest rim that will clear your brakes and fit a set of aggressive all terrains or slightly mild mud terrains on the widest tire you could fit.

I really think you should be fine with those Pirellis if you air them down to 12psi max. Trust me, driver skill and proper air pressure will have a much larger effect than tire choice in soft sand. If you get a nice M/T Baja claws and leave them aired up at 35PSI, all they will do is claw you a nice big hole into the sand.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you go? Would love to hear how it went.

I was just out there with the family, and we took to the first 18 miles or so. Funny thing...there was a bit of a tough spot about a mile past the 4x4 warning sign. Then, it was smooth sailing for the next 10 or so.

I pulled two people out, but one was a 2wd Armada, and the other was 4wd but towing a camper.

At about mile 18 it looked to get a bit softer. We had not planned much more than a drive on the beach, so I headed back.

As for tires, I swapped them for Nitto Terra Grapplers (295/70/17) a month after i bought the truck. Didn't reduce tire pressure, but probably would if i attempted the whole 60 miles. 4wd low climbed right out of the few tough spots, but i also stayed pretty conservative.

I was thinking that taking the whole beach could make a fun trip sometime though.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for good Tire set up for the beach sand than you should for sure drop the rim size to a 17in and there is a couple tires i am looking at, i do all sand offroading hard and soft. General, Nitto and BFG all make a good sand tire, for the sand you want to float on top not dig in so check out those guys. I run my tires around 12-16psi.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

And as always don't forget your beach tools. Jack, few pieces of wood, tow strap, flashlight, shovel and the local rangers number. My stock pirellis did find in the sandy stuff last year. Just air down and stay in 4wd. When you park try to park in the harder packed sand if you can...
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM
JP8

I wait for the low tide and run the shore line. I've drove that beach many times. That or get some BFG A/T, they will fit that truck perfect

The pirelli ATRs are garbage, the BFG A/T will ride almost as smooth on the highway and will do all you want off road.

305/65/18 is a great seat up, I ran those on my 07 F-150 and my 2010

Last edited by JP8; 05-30-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Default Didn't do the 60 mile beach drive yet.

Originally Posted by catumet
Did you go? Would love to hear how it went.
I haven't done the 60 mile beach drive yet. I'm still thinking about it.

Still thinking about keeping 2 sets of wheels/tires - off road and highway.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Isn't driving in the sand really bad for your truck? I've heard in the past that it can get in your rear end, u-joints, brakes, etc and chew it up over time. Is this not the case?

Quick Reply: Driving 60 miles on Padre Is. beach - what tires?