Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Don't throw stones - Can you paint shock boots?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Don't throw stones - Can you paint shock boots?

I ordered some skyjacker rear shocks and them come with red boots. I was going to order some black ones but the place I ordered them from wanted 8-11 bucks for them.

My question is: Do you think if I rough up the plastic and paint them with black plastic paint they would last?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

hmm... i couldnt imagine talking my self into do this...it just plays out weird in my head...i guess you could paint them if theres going to be alot of move ment in them i doubt it would last.......

BUT... there might also be another choice... there is a way you could probably dye them.. i had had a dashboard dyed for my chevelle back in the day... and it looked great... you might try googling dyed plastics ...or something along them lines......
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
2020 Sport

Yeah I know it's a weird thought and a buddy of mine explained to me how stupid the idea was but I was to cheap to order $11 boots (each).
Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save some cash buy the color you want. You'll be much happier in the long run. Or better yet, don't run any shock boots at all, they trap moisture and can lead to rust problems sooner.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
This picture scares you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that the time and $$ that you spend getting the paint, prepping, etc, would wind up being about the same as spending the $22, right?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
2020 Sport

Originally Posted by l67cooled
Save some cash buy the color you want. You'll be much happier in the long run. Or better yet, don't run any shock boots at all, they trap moisture and can lead to rust problems sooner.
...and that is what my buddy said, exactly to the T. Oddly enough I thought he might be wrong. I mean if you think about it, the boots claim to do the opposite.

@ camstng66 - Nah, I already have plastic paint, a ton of it and plenty of sandpaper.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by XPerties
...and that is what my buddy said, exactly to the T. Oddly enough I thought he might be wrong. I mean if you think about it, the boots claim to do the opposite.

They claim the opposite because they make money off of them because people think they look cool.
I see them and I think "poser", but thats just me.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i got mine for like a little under 6 bucks. ^^^ why do you think poser when you see them they come on the shocks
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
i got mine for like a little under 6 bucks. ^^^ why do you think poser when you see them they come on the shocks
They do nothing for the performance of the shock, they are purely for looks. All they do is trap moisture. Why put bright colors under your truck if it isnt to draw attention to the fancy new parts. Ever wonder why they come with the shocks and suspension systems? Its to draw attention to their product.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ray h
They do nothing for the performance of the shock, they are purely for looks. All they do is trap moisture. Why put bright colors under your truck if it isnt to draw attention to the fancy new parts. Ever wonder why they come with the shocks and suspension systems? Its to draw attention to their product.
you said they trap moisture but that's the exact reason why they sell them. to keep moisture out. mine seem to do that job, when i took my old ripped ones off my shocks looked brand new underneath.

oh and the rear shocks from my lift don't have the companies name on them anywhere so they don't use them to draw attention to their product.

Quick Reply: Don't throw stones - Can you paint shock boots?