Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Doing my first lift kit myself any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing my first lift kit myself any advice?

Hey ive got a 2WD 1992 f150 the 5.0 v8 and i want to put a lift kit on it. Rough country offers a 2.5, a 4. And 6 inch kits for it and i would like to get the 4. Im pretty sure that the kit comes with everything i will need but i want to know if yall think i need anthing else. Please not this is my first vehicle and its my first time doing something like this, i will have help but other than that im blind. I am keeping original tires for now but i do plan to get 36" mud tires in the future. I know that i will need to mod the steering and do the gears then but thats in the future. So will i need anything that doesnt come in the kit?

Last edited by Oversizedk1d; 12-16-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Mrs. W

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

you shouldnt need anything else.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

An alignment when you're finished. Angles are gonna be all over the place so do that stat unless you want your tires worn crazy.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright that makes a lot of sence thanks
Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

whatever kit you get just go online and download the install manual and read it until you understand everything theyre talking about in there. i installed the 6 in pro comp stage 2 lift kit on my 06 fx4 and i must have read that install manual 10 times and researched until i understood everything in it.

be sure you have all the tools youll need before hand. nothing worse than having to stop and go to the store to get the right size socket or whatever. get some tall jack stands so that you have clearance to work underneath.

also soak all the bolts in penetrating oil a few days before hand...being a 92, im sure some of those bolts are gonna be stuck on there, especially if youre in a rust prone area. invest in a propane torch as well! saved my *** a few times when some bolts were seized in there.

one other thing..since youre ripping apart the front end, look into replacing the ball joints, tie rods, brakes or brake lines while youre in there. itll add some more time to your install but you wont have to worry about it later down the road.

i had a 95 bronco for a little while and i remember that the steering set up on these trucks sucks when you lift it. be sure to get a dropped pitman arm and if you go with a 6 in kit, you may want to look into flipping the tie rods to help lessen the angles on the steering. if you have high angles, your steering will be sketchy as hell.

good luck!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by snowboarder7710
whatever kit you get just go online and download the install manual and read it until you understand everything theyre talking about in there. i installed the 6 in pro comp stage 2 lift kit on my 06 fx4 and i must have read that install manual 10 times and researched until i understood everything in it.

be sure you have all the tools youll need before hand. nothing worse than having to stop and go to the store to get the right size socket or whatever. get some tall jack stands so that you have clearance to work underneath.

also soak all the bolts in penetrating oil a few days before hand...being a 92, im sure some of those bolts are gonna be stuck on there, especially if youre in a rust prone area. invest in a propane torch as well! saved my *** a few times when some bolts were seized in there.

one other thing..since youre ripping apart the front end, look into replacing the ball joints, tie rods, brakes or brake lines while youre in there. itll add some more time to your install but you wont have to worry about it later down the road.

i had a 95 bronco for a little while and i remember that the steering set up on these trucks sucks when you lift it. be sure to get a dropped pitman arm and if you go with a 6 in kit, you may want to look into flipping the tie rods to help lessen the angles on the steering. if you have high angles, your steering will be sketchy as hell.

good luck!

^^^what he said^^^

Quick Reply: Doing my first lift kit myself any advice?