Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Disable traction control while offroad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 154 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disable traction control while offroad?

Used to own a 2004 Wrangler but that baby did not have traction control. My 2011 F150 has 3000 miles on it now and my cousin is dying to see what is can do offroad compared to his '76 Bronco. He's been nice enough to wait until I broke in the engine. I've got a 2011 4x4 supercab with the 5.0L, 3.55 rear, and limited slip. (stock tires and no lift) Our first outing will likely be some deep sand and light mud so 4 high not 4 low this time. Need to get a feel for this truck off road. Spoiled off road in some respects because of the Jeep. The sandy areas have hills and berms. I'm worried about the traction control causing problems. Should I turn it off? Yes/No. Quick click or hold till the entire advancetrac is off?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say off, and air down the tires if you are able to air them back up before you get back on the road :-)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

I've found that in mud I have to at least do a quick click to turn off the TC or I can't spin the wheels at all (even in 4 HI) and that can be a big problem. I usually do the 5 second hold to completely disable when I get in really muddy spots. I can't comment on the sand since I've never ventured into any with my truck. Just FYI if you still have the stock tires, they really suck in the mud so be careful. I had the Goodyear SRAs and now have Duratracs. No comparison.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 154 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerhunter4
I've found that in mud I have to at least do a quick click to turn off the TC or I can't spin the wheels at all (even in 4 HI) and that can be a big problem. I usually do the 5 second hold to completely disable when I get in really muddy spots. I can't comment on the sand since I've never ventured into any with my truck. Just FYI if you still have the stock tires, they really suck in the mud so be careful. I had the Goodyear SRAs and now have Duratracs. No comparison.
Thanks for the info. I'll go with at least the quick click. My stock tires are Michelin LTX AT2's. So a tiny bit more off road friendly than the SRA's but definitely no mud terrains.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN_MATH

Thanks for the info. I'll go with at least the quick click. My stock tires are Michelin LTX AT2's. So a tiny bit more off road friendly than the SRA's but definitely no mud terrains.
Anytime. Hopefully the AT2 does better. I bet it does.

Quick Reply: Disable traction control while offroad?