Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Death Valley Nov 25-26 2011 Trip Report. Pics and Vid Heavy!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Death Valley Nov 25-26 2011 Trip Report. Pics and Vid Heavy!

Well I'm happy to say another successful DV trip is in the books! This time it was myself and Betsy (my dog) in our Raptor, bstoner59 in his, and OUTCAST & his son OUTCAST Jr in theirs, joining us all the way from Louisiana! These two guys are hardfreakingcore! I think they said they figure the whole trip to be around 4k miles when all is said and done?? :peace:

We met up at 8am in Ridgecrest and headed out to Ballarat, where we aired down. We were asked several times if we were part of some sort of factory performance or race team or something. Seeing those three big beautiful white trucks lined up, I can see why they'd think that!

(From left to right is OUTCAST, bstoner59 and BigJ's trucks)

We had to take a minute and check out Charles Manson's power wagon. Kinda creepy, that.

It was busy out there this time, with lots of RVs and campers. We didn't see the "grocery" store owner Rock this time, but we did see his trusty pal PotLicker, keeping an eye on things.

We set out south and eventually turned east at Goler Wash

All was well until we reached the "Waterfall". Last time we cruised over the dry rocks with little trouble. This time... not so much. Its crazy how much difference a little bit of water makes.

We came upon two families in their expedition vans. One was already over, and this guy was just airing down before trying. They helped move rocks and guide bstoner up and over. Only took three tries

Here's a vid of 'stoner getting over the Waterfall. The vid really does the steepness of this thing a disservice. Its quite a bit more extreme than the camera makes it seem. To get a sense of that, keep an eye on the distances from the front and rear tires to their wheel wells. That's a whole lot of room up front and not much in the rear, indicating a bunch of weight transfer to the rear, due to the angle.

Once 'stoner was over, the second van barely slowed down and he made it up. He used all 9000+ lbs of his monster, stuck it in 4lo, lock out the front and rear and just let that big ole diesel idle as it carried him up and over. It was impressive to see, for sure.

They made sure we had tow straps (a really good thing, see below as to why) we waved our thanks and goodbyes and proceeded to get OUTCAST up next.

Then it was my turn. After 4 or 5 tries, we gave up. Ya see, I'm running the stock BFGs with about 35k hard miles on 'em, where the other two guys are running Generals. I had no chance. We ended up tieing up to bstoner's truck and dragging my sawery butt up. I aint too proud to admit defeat, but you can bet I'm not gonna let that happen again :P

Last edited by Jason; 11-30-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:33 AM

We then carried on to Barker (where Charles Manson was caught), and spent a few minutes.

Then it was down and out Mengle Pass.

And then past Striped Butte via Warm Springs

We then hit pavement, and drove thru a crazy crowded Badwater as we started looking for somewhere to camp for the night. We were turned away at Furnace Creek (totally full) so we decided to head up toward Beatty, and out into Box Canyon on BLM land for the night. It was dark by the time we got there, but 'stoner found us a kickass spot to hunker down, complete with an already ready to go firepit! Here's a shot from the site the next morning

We spent some time in the ghost town of Rhyolite, and then on to Titus Canyon. I didn't take many pics there, 'cause quite honestly I got caught up in just enjoying it. Its one of my favorite spots in the park, and I love just being out there. Here are a couple though, this one leading into the canyon

And here's one from Leadfield, a ghost town situated at the canyon's doorstep

Here's a shot from Titus, toward its end.

Kind of a funny story... as we're making our way out, we came across a brand new BFG Mud Terrain 35x12.5x17 mounted to a brand new ProComp wheel. There were still lug nuts in it (2) so it was obvious this spare had broken off from its mount and the guy never noticed. About a mile later (and about a mile from where the canyon exits) we see this lady come running back, and she asks about the wheel. Apparently her guy sent her back to find it while he exited the canyon, got gas and came back around. We told her where to find it (none of us had room to load it up and bring it out), and off she went to sit and wait. We figured she'd be waiting there probably for a good 3 or 4 hours since the closest gas was 30 miles away, and since Titus is a one way, and her dude would have to come all the way back to the entrance and come down to get 'er a good 15 miles in. Crazy!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 AM

After that, we had lunch at Scotty's castle, and then made our way down Racetrack to see the rocks and the tracks they leave

We had originally planned to spend the night there at the south end of Racetrack, but called an audible at the last minute; 'stoner had an event's schedule change on him and was moved to that night, and OUTCAST & Jr loved Titus so much they wanted to hit it again in the morning to get it on video. So rather than hunker down for the night, we decided to hit Hidden Valley and Hunter Mountain that evening, and head our separate ways that night.

I gotta tell ya, Hidden Valley was already one of my favorite parts of this trip, and seeing it at dusk and into night only made it better. Its absolutely stunningly gorgeous.

We then hit 190 via Saline Road, said our goodbyes and well wishes and went our separate ways. 'stoner made his event, I made it home around 1230am safe and sound and I'm pretty sure OUTCAST & Jr. hit Titus again early that next morning and are now on their way home.

All in all this was a shorter trip than we expected, but it was none the less spectacular for it. It was truly an honor to meet and hang with OUTCAST and Jr., and as always I dig spending time with 'stoner.

We'll definitely be doing this again, and you're more than welcome to join! 'stoner and OUTCAST took lots of pics and vids too, so hopefully when they get settled they'll have time to post some up here.

Great folks and good times all around!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1,681 Likes on 587 Posts

AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

im jealous of the trucks and the trip
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM
2010 FX4

I'm sorry I missed it. Count me in if you go again, say like Jan 6-8. I'm moving to Japan mid-January so that would be my last opportunity. Before anyone asks, I am keeping my truck. I put too much money into it to try and sell it, so I'm keeping it at my parents' house. I'll be home once or twice a year to drive it.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Aus nichts wird nichts

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some day I'll have to get out west and let my Raptor play with other Raptors
Old 11-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Chad, we're looking at putting together a similar run over the Mojave Road; probably will be 4 days 3 nights late Dec? Not sure on details yet though. I'll keep ya posted if you're interested?

All The Way... definitely! Get yer butt out here and lets have some fun eh?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Death Valley Nov 25-26 2011 Trip Report. Pics and Vid Heavy!