Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Cv angle with leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cv angle with leveling kit

I just bought this truck and it has a leveling kit with 31570r17 on it and I'm really not a fan of the level because of what it does to the suspension geometry along with putting the cv axles at such extreme angles. I want to make this truck pretty awsome ofroad so I was thinking camburg uca fox coilovers in front and raptor shocks with deaver springs in the rear but I don't know what do do about the cv angle could I buy the diff drop bracket out of a 4 inch lift kit or something along those lines ? I like how the truck sits now and don't really want to go higher
Attached Thumbnails Cv angle with leveling kit-image.png  
Old 04-09-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

I just got Deaver springs (1" lift). Absolutely love them! Rides like a Cadillac, but under a lot more control than I had with the stock springs. - You'll love them...even after the price tag

As far as your level goes, there have been no issues reported as long as you don't go higher than 2" or so. Over that and you could be asking for trouble with the CV joints. I have a 2" level in front, and I've done some pretty sketchy trails and off roading. Really tested the truck. (Google "Chicken Corner" and "South Park Trail" - both in Death Valley and you'll see what I mean; a Class IV Jeep trail. Even Jeepers were mesmerized by my presence asking "how'd you get that thing up here?" )

This was a wide part of the trail, approaching Chicken Corner:

Old 04-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

if you want the angles corrected do it correctly .. 4" or 6" lift. kit will come with the required drop spindles to correct the angles.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:40 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuster132
I just bought this truck and it has a leveling kit with 31570r17 on it and I'm really not a fan of the level because of what it does to the suspension geometry along with putting the cv axles at such extreme angles. I want to make this truck pretty awsome ofroad so I was thinking camburg uca fox coilovers in front and raptor shocks with deaver springs in the rear but I don't know what do do about the cv angle could I buy the diff drop bracket out of a 4 inch lift kit or something along those lines ? I like how the truck sits now and don't really want to go higher
Have you thought about going into a Mid travel kit?

We have a 4WD kit that includes upper and lowers with custom axles.

PM, email or call me with any questions.

JT
Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I switched out my 2.5 level for a 4" suspension lift. The ride difference is night and day. I'm so glad I made the change. A little more lift and a much, much better ride.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnydstx
I switched out my 2.5 level for a 4" suspension lift. The ride difference is night and day. I'm so glad I made the change. A little more lift and a much, much better ride.
I'm thinking about going this route as well.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
I just got Deaver springs (1" lift). Absolutely love them! Rides like a Cadillac, but under a lot more control than I had with the stock springs. - You'll love them...even after the price tag

As far as your level goes, there have been no issues reported as long as you don't go higher than 2" or so. Over that and you could be asking for trouble with the CV joints. I have a 2" level in front, and I've done some pretty sketchy trails and off roading. Really tested the truck. (Google "Chicken Corner" and "South Park Trail" - both in Death Valley and you'll see what I mean; a Class IV Jeep trail. Even Jeepers were mesmerized by my presence asking "how'd you get that thing up here?" )

This was a wide part of the trail, approaching Chicken Corner:

Done that one a few times. How'd you like it when chicken rock leaned you into that drop-off? On a side note, I thought those bridges were closed, glad to see them re-opened.

Going the other way a few years back.
Name:  CR.jpg
Views: 3399
Size:  90.1 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CR.jpg (90.1 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Willard5.0; 05-07-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was out wheeling last night and the truck did way better than expected only thing I Broke was my brake lights I was worrying for nothing
Old 05-10-2016, 11:57 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard5.0
Done that one a few times. How'd you like it when chicken rock leaned you into that drop-off? On a side note, I thought those bridges were closed, glad to see them re-opened.
Chicken Rock wasn't bad at all. I only hit about 18º on the angle gauge. I did pick my through it carefully though. No biggie. Ice Skating across Colter Springs was a lot more challenging... it was frozen solid and THREW us back into the willows. Took almost 3 hours to get out.

The bridge near Briggs Cabin was clearly labelled "6000 lbs MAXIMUM GVW". Oops. But there was no way we were going back down. Many washouts, and many spots were a lot (read: a LOT) scarier than Chicken Corner. We pressed on after camping in the parking area at Briggs Cabin. We walked up from the cabin to inspect the bridge. Seeing that I have built bridges, I figured any obvious or dangerous flaws would reveal themselves. There were none. It barely even creaked as we went over it.

Can't wait to go again!

Quick Reply: Cv angle with leveling kit