Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Coilover questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Coilover questions

So my truck has been in the shop for what seems like forever. Every time I go in its another problem. The current issue deals with the long travel kit that's getting installed and the King 3.0 coilovers.

First in order for the truck to sit level they preloaded the **** out out of the shocks as seen in this pic. Shop tells me I'm going to get coil bind running it like this in addition to having a super stiff rides like **** front end. The following pic shows how the truck sits:
Name:  image_zpsso3qqg4p.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  141.6 KB
Name:  image_zpsdydkdstu.jpeg
Views: 88
Size:  162.1 KB

The kits is from BajaKits / Brenthel. They use 600lb springs. The fab shop says they use those on Rangers and smaller trucks. BajaKits says that They tested with King and that's the spring they sell with all their 4wd "race" kits.

Now I know JT from BajaKits is on here and he's been helpful so I'm not bashing those guys. What I want to know is if anyone has had similar issues and what did you do to resolve it?

This is all relatively new to me. The only suspension I've ever messed with has been on motorcycles. Spring too short? Too light? Fab shop in over their head? I called King today but no techs were available. Just looking for ideas.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the Length of the coil overs? are they 8" or 10" if they were 8's I would say you need 10" in there that way you would have little pre-load compared to what you have there.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by izzysplace
What is the Length of the coil overs? are they 8" or 10" if they were 8's I would say you need 10" in there that way you would have little pre-load compared to what you have there.
they're 3.0 x 10. Springs are 3.75x22x600 it is what it is. Brenthel says thats what they use so I have to go with what they say. For now I'm taking out the rear lift blocks to lower the rear a little. Not Socal Bro low, just get a little weight of the front and have the back a tiny bit lower.

I'll deal with the rest of it when I get the spring under kit and cage it.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to put this site down or anything, but try posting on dezertrangers.com they're all prerunnerguys or dezert racers that post and hang out there, and not just Ranger guys, lots of F-Series and other makes too. There are probably a dozen people with that same kit that post there, check it out.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by traxiii
Not to put this site down or anything, but try posting on dezertrangers.com they're all prerunnerguys or dezert racers that post and hang out there, and not just Ranger guys, lots of F-Series and other makes too. There are probably a dozen people with that same kit that post there, check it out.
Lol I'm on DR I already know their answer though #beams bro
Old 12-21-2015, 01:01 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The springs I'll be putting on my F150 once my L/T kit is done will be 2.5 x 10" with 600 over 700lb. springs..
As of right now on my 8" C/O I have 600 lb. springs but they are preloaded.. aka same issue you're having except I do not coil bind as my shocks never fully bumped out (they hit other things before.. even worse? lol)

I'd recommend upping the springs.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:05 AM

I'm going to run it for a bit and see how it works right now I need to get the steering fixed. A bus has a better turning radius it's a problem with the clevis that was provided with the kit I have to have one made.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my coilovers sonny from downsouth motorsports recommended i run 4" x 500 over 18" x 700
Old 12-21-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by CacheDH
On my coilovers sonny from downsouth motorsports recommended i run 4" x 500 over 18" x 700
From what little I know your dual springs have an effective rate of 600 lbs which is what I have.

it takes 250b to compress the 4" 1/2 an inch and 350lbs to compress the 18" 1/2 inch. thus 1" = 600 lbs. This is how it was explained to me and it could be totally wrong so confirm before taking my word for it.

Quick Reply: Coilover questions