Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Clunking sound when turning after 6" lfit

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking sound when turning after 6" lfit

Had a procomp 6" lift installed on my 2013 f150 crewcab fx4. 325/60r20 tires mounted. Picked up the truck from the shop and put on some miles then took it back in for a re torque. After another 1000km or so I start to hear a slight clunking sound on the front end while turning at full lock. Started on just the right side and eventually started coming from the side too at full lock. Truck is in 2WD when this is happening. Tried cycling from 4 back too 2 just to see if the hubs werent fully disengaged.

Makes no noise with wheels straight or slightly turned on corners. Only when going slow around 5 km/h at full lock in a parking lot. If I turn in a constant circle at full lock it clunks every 2 seconds consistently like something binding up and releasing. I did crawl underneath and have a look at the tie rods, balljoints, dropbrackets, ect and nothing appears loose. Havent had a chance to put a wrench on anything yet as Im out of town atm. Truck only has 17k kilometers on it so basically brand new still!

Anyone have some ideas of where I should try looking before I take it into the dealer and get raped $$ wise. Thanks!!
Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same thing happens with me
Old 05-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turn your tires till they are full lock then check under the truck and see if they are rubbing on anything
Old 05-09-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came to the conclusion it was the suspension rubbing on the bump stop bolts. The shop had put in all the stop shims which really cut down my steering angle so i was always at full lock.

I pulled out all the stop shims and left only the aluminum stops in and wow does the truck ever turn sharp again. Had to do a little more trimming but very happy with it now.

Quick Reply: Clunking sound when turning after 6" lfit