Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Close call with the sea

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Close call with the sea

Went to the beach to have some fun, and in the middle of the night got stuck, in one instant the truck dropped to the frame, it was like moving sands, very sticky, another dodge ram cummings, f250 turbo diesel got stuck trying to get me out, at 4am we got the other trucks out, but mine was impossible, and the tide was raising, after the tide was hitting the headlights of my truck, i went in and took everything (insurance, house keys, hat, etc) and proceed to abandon the ship :/ it was going to be the most expensive beach party ever

We head back to the ranch to rest and to wait for sunrise, at 7am we got people that own a caterpiller, and for my luck, the tide didnt raise beyond that point, so i was able to got my truck back! Only issues is burned strobe lights, humidity on a fog lig, and the red cable to the starter broke, so i couldnt start the truck

What do you recomend after something like this? Change oils, check for what, also my new trail glappers didnt help for anything haha

Last edited by betomxl; 10-07-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

If it were mine, lots and lots of fresh water to wash the under carriage. Even hooking the hose to your hot water heater and washing with this to dissolve the salt better. . Might even consider driving through the heaviest thunderstorms you can find. You can also let an oscillating sprinkler run under your chassis. When I finished that, I would coat everything with wd40. Get a big tank and spray out of one of those pressure insecticide bottles. The gallon size ones. Did it get the inside wet? If so, that might be un repairable. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC F150
If it were mine, lots and lots of fresh water to wash the under carriage. Even hooking the hose to your hot water heater and washing with this to dissolve the salt better. . Might even consider driving through the heaviest thunderstorms you can find. You can also let an oscillating sprinkler run under your chassis. When I finished that, I would coat everything with wd40. Get a big tank and spray out of one of those pressure insecticide bottles. The gallon size ones. Did it get the inside wet? If so, that might be un repairable. Good luck.
No water inside, just some mud from my feet, tomorrow after i fix the starter ill take it to the carwash to get the undercarriege wash
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Mud Monkey

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably not a good thing to start it, because if water did get into components of your engine, it'd just flood the engine out.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

I would try to wash out inside the frame as well. There are holes cut through out the frame. Fill with water and try to get the salt out of there as well. Clean, clean, clean and protect. The truck will be fine if you get the salt out from underneath it.
The following users liked this post:
betomxl (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pressure wash the hell out of the underneath ... Spray some simple green all over the engine compartment , frame rails , in the frame, under and on everything and let it sit for a bit then wash it out. again, and again . Salt sucks...
The following users liked this post:
betomxl (10-08-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's insane. I would just give it a very good rinse as suggested, including the underside, engine bay and anywhere else you can reach. Alot of people forget to wash the inside of your body panels as best you can but I would recommend this as well to prevent rust. (it's easier on the back panels then front) If it were mine I would put the front on jack stands and remove the wheels to access everything better and insure you get it really clean.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I would change the front diff fluid as well. Sitting in that slop with a lot of time to let things seep, you just never know what could have penetrated. Make sure you really work some fresh water around your wheels, bearings, ball joints, brakes, etc... to get all that salt out of there. Those are the hard to reach areas that could be really catastrophic. All in and through the back of the bumper, fog lights and connectors, etc...
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM
www.sldraftingdesign.com

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

lesson learned lol
Old 10-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Thats sucks a donkey d bro.

Quick Reply: Close call with the sea