Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

changing rear axle gears?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default changing rear axle gears?

I currently have 3.31 open diff on my truck. I would like to change to 3.73 LS for better towing and off roading capabilities. My truck is only a 2wd so LS should help a lot, wont be doing any hardcore offroading, but maybe some muddy trails or spots with deep sand. Has anyone had this done? Can you tell me what you paid? I would need the shop to do it. Is it as easy as swamping out the gears or does it have an effect on the transmission as well. Thanks guys!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 AM

Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jlfree1015
I currently have 3.31 open diff on my truck. I would like to change to 3.73 LS for better towing and off roading capabilities. My truck is only a 2wd so LS should help a lot, wont be doing any hardcore offroading, but maybe some muddy trails or spots with deep sand. Has anyone had this done? Can you tell me what you paid? I would need the shop to do it. Is it as easy as swamping out the gears or does it have an effect on the transmission as well. Thanks guys!
No it will not affect the transmission. And no it's not that easy. For a shop to do it you looking at 600.00 an axle at least. probably more. I have done many gear swaps. You will have to get your speedo fixed after the gear swap.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you plan on putting tires on it as well? and you will be paying 600$ just for the Labor... gears might run you $300 on the high side. Make sure you get it from someone in town who has a descent reputation. It would help to get your speedo redone but you don't have too.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O yea! the LS it self... if you go Tru Trac, which i highly recommend, it will be around $450..... ish.... so your looking at ~$750 in parts and $600 in labor... IMO i think you should slap some slightly oversized tires that wont scrub and put 4.10s in it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing rear axle gears?