Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Canyonlands - The Maze (anyone driven it?)

Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Canyonlands - The Maze (anyone driven it?)

I'm thinking of a 4WD vacation to The Maze in Canyonlands National Park specifically for driving 4WD roads and camping. Has anyone done it?

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/mazeroads.htm

The website says a high clearance 4WD vehicle is required and towouts cost $1,000.

I'm wondering if a stock 2010 F-150 Platinum 4X4 with skid plates is up to this terrain. I don't want to go in just to discover it costs me $1,000 to get towed out.

So my question is, "Has anyone done it?"

Second question is, "Is my stock 2010 4X4 F-150 Platinum with skid plates up to the task?" If not, what would I have to modify/add to drive The Maze?

Third question is, "Does anyone want to join/organize a F-150 4WD "posse" to The Maze in Canyonlands for a 3 day 4WD camping experience?" I know I would like to do it this spring or summer.

I see it as sort of a 4WD pilgrimage, similar to motorcyclists riding The Tail of the Dragon. (Just in case there are any bikers here that can relate to that.)

It would give you bragging rights, like, "I drove The Maze." Nobody would know what you are talking about, but it sounds "cool". And the experience sounds like it would be an awesome adventure.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:20 AM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds really cool, if i wasnt 2WD and lowered id be down lol
Old 03-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in this. And some of the same questions honestly.

I have a 2010 FX4 and coming from the world of "road rallies" (Canonball, AKA Rally, GumBall) this is a whole nother extreme and one I've been wanting to do.

(cough...cough...I need reasons for mods. lol)
Old 04-03-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done the Maze a couple of times.
Since I don't know how high your truck sits I really can't answer your question. BUT MOST of the roads are 2WD. The road to the Doll House goes through Teapot Canyon, or some similar name, and wouldn't be advisable. The Flint switchbacks are about the worst you will run into (other than Tea Pot) and you likely will drag bottom a couple of times. If you are good at picking a line and comfortable in your skills as an off roader you should be fine.
Don't go alone and take extra gas and PLENTY of water. The two things that usually cut this trip short for some is lack of those two. Do your research on this area well and be prepared. There isn't access to water at ANY point out there. It is considered to be the most remote area in the lower 48, even more so than Death Valley by some accounts.
Plan ahead, go prepared and have fun.
I would plan for more than 3 days. 5 is better if you really want to see it.
Remember it is 70 miles from the beginning of the trail at the ranger station to ANY gas station so you have a 140 mile trip to and from the beginning of the trail not including all the slow driving you will do while there.
Just looked at your avitar. If that is the truck you plan on taking it should be fine, A little longer than I would want on the switchbacks but doable. Don't forget to pack out your poop. (seriously)
DT

Last edited by DTS150; 04-03-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by DTS150
I have done the Maze a couple of times.
Since I don't know how high your truck sits I really can't answer your question.

Don't go alone and take extra gas and PLENTY of water. The two things that usually cut this trip short for some is lack of those two. Do your research on this area well and be prepared.
DT
Thank you for your input. It makes my plan sound more doable than I thought. Local flatlanders around the Houston area have advised me that my truck is not "high clearance". If course, these are the types that pay $50 for a weekend of commercial fun at built for purpose 4WD challenge roads. I'm not into that part of the 4WD off road experience.

Here are some photos that show ground clearance of my truck. I'm guessing maybe 2 or 3 inches higher than a standard F-150 2WD.

My truck has a 36 gallon gas tank that is good for 500 miles on the highway. If I pack a 5 gallon jerry can of gasoline, that should last me though 3 days of back roads.

I agree with your advice about "don't go alone". I assume you mean there should be at least 2 vehicles in case one gets stuck, the other is there to help pull out. However the reality is that I don't have much opportunity to team up with anyone. Perhaps not a wise choice, but the plan would be to go alone. Maybe there are impromptu "teams" that form at the trailheads. Did you do your drive through the 4WD Maze with a group or alone?

Last edited by SailorDon; 04-05-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM

That is an awfully nice looking truck.
You should be fine for most of the area you are talking about going. Like I mentioned before the Flint switchbacks are going to pose the biggest problem to you. They are narrow with tight switchbacks and a couple places with small rock ledges. I (meaning me) would take your truck in there but I would stay away from Teapot Canyon.
You likely will hit bottom a few times and I would be a little worried about those automatic running boards if you were to smack them on a rock. You may need a spotter on some parts just to keep the body work pretty.
Remember what is easy to some is crazy to others so your mileage may vary.
Have fun. I love that area.
DT
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
senior duck tape mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

them running board's are gna have to come off, i would take my toyo down there if i ever get it.....
Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya loose the running boards man.If you do in fact bottom out,they will only hinder you if you were to get stuck.I would also invest a new set of tires,probably a more aggressive tread pattern if you plan to tackle this park.Well good luck man.

Ona side note,i have researched national park sites and nothing,I'm looking for a on-line page where you can tell which states have off-roading for our trucks,not just atv's.Anyone know of a site where i can find out more?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Skull31
Ya loose the running boards man.If you do in fact bottom out,they will only hinder you if you were to get stuck.I would also invest a new set of tires,probably a more aggressive tread pattern if you plan to tackle this park.
The axles on my truck are lower than the running boards in their stored position. The new set of tires is probably the best advice. Bigger wheels and bigger tires maybe, so I don't hang an axle on a rock. That could really ruin your trip.

Will tires that are 4" bigger in diameter require cutting out the wheel wells for clearance? Body work is not on my agenda for prepping for this trip.

If The Maze is so rough it requires a Jeep with 33" tires, then this is not the "off road" trip for me and my truck.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Hanging an axle on a rock isn't going to be your problem. Besides axles and rocks get along fairly well as far as the axle being able to take a rub/grind/drag.
Your long wheel base and the resulting break over angle (IE rocker panels and running boards) and turning radius are the concern.
More aggressive tires in the all terrain variety isn't a bad idea.
The park service runs stock height long box standard cab full size 4WD pick-ups out on those trails with stock or maybe 1" taller more aggressive tires.
The reason a "Jeep on 33's" might be mentioned is rated on the worst obstacle of the worst section of the worst trail and I have mentioned to stay away from that one already...besides you don't need 33's on a small Jeep...31's would do fine with a little care.
DT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Canyonlands - The Maze (anyone driven it?)