Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Camburg vs Icon UCA

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Camburg vs Icon UCA

I've got a 2014 FX4 with 295/70/18 and the Boss coil over package. I've gone off road a few times, but the results have been less then stellar. I don't feel like there's much travel in the suspension and bottoming out (possibly UCA hitting springs?) is pretty easy, even on rough street roads with pot holes. I've wondered if the boss coil overs are too stiff and should change out to fox or icon. In the meantime, I think I'll change out my OEM UCA to gain a little more travel, but I'm torn between which to go with. I don't do much offroading, mainly because I'm uncomfortable with the performance on rough street roads at 35mph, however if my setup were a bit better I'd probably find more time to get off the streets!

My fuel hostages have 5" of backspacing, so that takes out a few brands. I've been looking at Camburg and Icon the most, but am open to suggestions. What are the differences between these two brands?

Last edited by stxhunter; 08-01-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

before you spend any money...

Coilovers won't increase travel.

Uniball UCAs will allow for about 1.5" of more droop - so technically more travel but won't have any impact on bottoming out (up travel or compression).

Typically, you'd add preload to your coilovers to stiffen the ride and reduce bottoming out (within reason - we shouldn't be anywhere near hydro bumps with this setup). If you are bottoming out then reducing preload won't help, it will only bottom out easier - this could, however, improve the ride on rough paved roads.

Boss is a unit that a lot of folks on here seem to have good luck with. I do not think they are the same caliber as ICON, FOX, KING. That said, it also will depend on how aggressive you are driving. Factory replacements, regardless of who makes them, are only going to take you so far WRT driving fast over rough terrain.

If you are heading toward more travel, you might consider researching mid travel or even long travel. Check out the link in my sig to get you started.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I wasn't anticipating increasing travel with the coil overs, I should have explained myself better.

Read through both of your links, I don't think I want to go that extreme, but wish I could!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

^^^Listen to that dude^^^ from everything I've read on here WarSurfer knows his stuff (I read your whole build page one day WarSurfer... I hope your doing well).

Icon vs Camburg UCA: Icon's are more but only by about $50. With the Icon's you can run their billet uniball cap. The caps "...extend the service life of the uniball by keeping the elements out that are usually attributed to premature PTFE-liner failure.". The Icon uniball is 1" vs Camburg's 1.25". The uniball rebuild kit for the Camburg UCA's are about $50 cheaper if that means anything. One last thing from stage3, "The Icon's are a little more reliable and durable due to the fact that they use a one-piece, billet uniball adapter pin, while the Camburg's use a bolt that goes through the uniball for attaching to your spindle."
Old 08-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Just going to throw this out there but I love my Icon 2.5's and Fox 2.5 rears (raptor take offs) paired with my Camburg UCA (got them from a member for cheap). You can definitely notice the increased droop travel hands down. Never bottomed them out yet, on or offroad
Old 03-14-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pauli18c
Just going to throw this out there but I love my Icon 2.5's and Fox 2.5 rears (raptor take offs) paired with my Camburg UCA (got them from a member for cheap). You can definitely notice the increased droop travel hands down. Never bottomed them out yet, on or offroad
I'm about to do a 3" level kit and Camburg control arms for my 2013 F150 2wd. I'll have stock wheels and 35x11.50x20 tires. Will have have any clearance issue with the uppers hitting tires? I'm mainly doing the upper to correct angle because factory is maxed out with the 3" and gives a horrible ride. PLEASE get back with me ASAP. IM READY TO ORDER.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:24 AM

Just saw this pop up. I ended up trashing (literally) the Boss/Halo Lift after two issues. First, one of the front shocks broke on me (not the mount, the actual shaft on the shock) after only 6k miles. Second, the rears went out around 30k miles and the ride quickly became dangerous. I upgraded to a full icon stage 3 setup and haven't regretted the choice one bit, should have gone with Icon from the start!

Originally Posted by Bronson Sherrill
I'm about to do a 3" level kit and Camburg control arms for my 2013 F150 2wd. I'll have stock wheels and 35x11.50x20 tires. Will have have any clearance issue with the uppers hitting tires? I'm mainly doing the upper to correct angle because factory is maxed out with the 3" and gives a horrible ride. PLEASE get back with me ASAP. IM READY TO ORDER.
Which level kit are you going with? With either my boss or icon kit my 295/70r18 (34" tire) Copper ST Max slightly rubbed in a turn when hitting a bump. Will the 11.5" tire fit on the stock wheel? I'd suspect you'll have a fair amount of rubbing with 35s and just a level.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WarSurfer
before you spend any money...

Coilovers won't increase travel.

Uniball UCAs will allow for about 1.5" of more droop - so technically more travel but won't have any impact on bottoming out (up travel or compression).

Typically, you'd add preload to your coilovers to stiffen the ride and reduce bottoming out (within reason - we shouldn't be anywhere near hydro bumps with this setup). If you are bottoming out then reducing preload won't help, it will only bottom out easier - this could, however, improve the ride on rough paved roads.

Boss is a unit that a lot of folks on here seem to have good luck with. I do not think they are the same caliber as ICON, FOX, KING. That said, it also will depend on how aggressive you are driving. Factory replacements, regardless of who makes them, are only going to take you so far WRT driving fast over rough terrain.

If you are heading toward more travel, you might consider researching mid travel or even long travel. Check out the link in my sig to get you started.
Agreed on all points; as for coilover units WAYSURFER is right the Halolifts Boss units are great for what they are, but in no way a match against King, Icon, or Fox. I just replaced my Boss coilover set with King 2.5's after hydraulicing the driver side coilover and blowing out the pressurized internal plug. If you can afford the extra money for a quality set of coilovers do it; the added insurance and ability to fully rebuild them is money saved if you learn how to do it yourself.

As far as UCA's go there's a myriad of choices. My biggest suggestion is to go for a boxed constructuon over the tubular like that of total chaos or camburg. Dirt King Fabrication out of San Diego has a good set of boxed UCA's for about $800. Otherwise I would highly suggest SVC Offroad; they're construction of their control arms is everything I would put into my own control arms as a fabricator.
The following users liked this post:
nibrwr (06-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Camburg vs Icon UCA