Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Buying new tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new tires

Hello, Im going to treat my ride to new tires as soon as I replace my ball joints and steering components. I just wanted to get some input as on some different tires as Ive only had experience with a few. The truck is a 02 SC FX4, with a 6" Fabtec lift and 35x12.50/18. Currently I have Toyo open country m/t tires. I have not had too many complaints with them, but do tend to gum up at times. I do spend a good bit of time off road, but I need a tire that is well mannered on the road at highway speeds. Ive driven a truck with brand new mud grapplers, and that is out of the question. Too loud. So here are the tires Ive been looking into getting in no particular order.
1) Federal Couragia M/T- Ive read that these are good wearing tires on the street, and perform quite well off road. Also the price is a lot cheaper than most others.
2) Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC- Good reviews, supposed to be a beast off road but tame enough for highway travel. supposed to wear good. Issue: not available in 18" wheel, so Id have to get new wheels too.
3) Super Swamper TSL- Excellent off road reviews, Mixed reviews for street. I think I would have to chan ge wheels also.
4) Bfg KM2- Good reviews but I don't really like the way the tire looks when mounted on a vehicle.

Well that's what I have been looking into. Can I get some opinions, or other candidates. The truck is not a daily driver, but does get driven a lot. We usually take it out of town once or twice a year. The other factor is we go off road 2-3 times a month. Terrain is different from place to place; red clay, sandy type mud, thick top soil mud, slick clay roads, rocky pipelines. What would you personally use and why?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Default Cooper Discoverer A/T3

I put 275/70/18 Coopers on my 2013 Lariat 4x4. I happen to be in Wyoming deer hunting right now and am very impressed with them off road. On the 800 mile drive here, they were very quiet and handle well. And they have a 55,000 mile warranty on a load range E. I would highly recommend them.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 PM

I appreciate the input. I hadn't even looked at cooper. Ill be sure to check them out.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got the bfg km2's on my f250 and they do well on the road and off road they do real good.

I take it you don't want anything like a super swamper? I personaly havnt had the Irocks but have heard good things about them with the ride quality and lasting well on the street. if your lookin for some great off road you cant do any better than a super swamper.

as far as the nitto mud grapplers stay away from them, they do well of road when new but once they get below half tread they suck. and they wear quick on the highway. the nitto trail grapplers are much more tame on the highway from what ive seen with them and are good off road from the people that ive talked to that has them.

Quick Reply: Buying new tires