Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Bump-stops/shocks?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Bump-stops/shocks?

Due to my curiosity, and my truck's ride quality, I wanted to see if there was anyone on here who could enlighten me on bump stops (or whatever the cool kids call them these days). To give you, or whoever comments on this topic, some insight on my truck's suspension I have a 2004 Screw 4X4 (F-150 of course) with a 6" Pro-comp lift kit + a leveling kit in the front, and 8" Atlas leaf springs in the rear with Pro-comp shocks (extended size from regular 6" lift kit shocks due to the height in the back). Also, there is no rear block in the back, not even the factory (2") one. The suspension totals out to be around 8"s, but honestly at this point I have no clue as to what the actual size of my lift is. With this setup I am running 35" tires, and although I might be able to run larger tires with a less negative off-set, they actual still rub the back of my front wheel well, when I drive up a steep incline, hit a bump, or something like that with some speed. Since my goal is to run 37" tires I am planning on buying a true 8" lift kit (most likely from Rize, because I can have a negative off-set), so that I can comfortably fit 37" tires, and not rub at any angle (hopefully). Anyways, along with this new setup I am also going to be getting coil-overs for the front (most likely King, or Fox), and different rear shocks, which I am looking into the "piggy-back" style (also King, or Fox). My question to anyone that made it through my rambling, is what are bump-stops, what will they do, do they work with F-150's, and are they worth it? The reason for me even looking into them is because the ride quality of my truck is pretty poor when it comes to feeling every bump in the road. I believe that due to the fact that my factory block has be removed (and another member telling me), that this has increased the sensitivity in my suspension (rear), making my truck feel more rough when driving over areas that are "bumpy." Now, I also know that having new leaf springs could've changed this, but I am thinking once I have the new lift kit installed that they will be able to put the factory block back in, and my ride quality will change for the better (since the Rize lift kit will raise the front, the back will need to be raised, and hopefully the factory block will be enough). Though I want to make my truck ride better than ever. I know that also upgrading the rear shocks will take some of the bumpiness away, and adding traction bars as well will help out, but I wanted some info on these bump-stops. The only knowledge I've gathered from them is that they are small "shock-like" reservoirs that are placed somewhere under the truck, and I assume prevent or reduce the amount of bumps. Please, feel free to "take me to school."

PS: Here's a link to a website I found that carries multiple brands of bump stops. http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-1-c-758.html
Old 07-07-2012, 01:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have a lift but I'm pretty familiar, googled a little info for you. (idk if you found the same info) hope it helps Irish.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...bumpstop-1.htm

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co..._Bumpstops.htm
The following users liked this post:
Nice Sweater (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by chocolateskwlbuss
I don't have a lift but I'm pretty familiar, googled a little info for you. (idk if you found the same info) hope it helps Irish.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...bumpstop-1.htm

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co..._Bumpstops.htm
Thanks for the links. The only actual "research" I've completed has been info from the product's website. Nothing much, only seeing measurements really. I'm just trying to figure these things out, and if they might be good for my truck. I don't know if they are only used on rally trucks, or if they would be good for a daily driver. Although, it was nice to read that they can prevent tires from rubbing the wheel well, but then again I don't know if that is only on a certain vehicle, a certain bump stop used, or what.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Fox 2.0 bumpstops in the rear. I fabbed a pair of mounts to hold the stops and a pair of blocks that bolt on top of the leafs. My truck is heavier than most F150s, especially with my rear bumper, 40" spare, winch, hi-lift, and a full tool box. With all that weight and and not slowing down for speed bumps, I opted to install the bump stops. They pretty much slow the rate of travel in the rear when the leaf springs compress. I do not have any in the front but there are many that have installed them. Up front, the bump stop is mounted to the frame and makes contact with the lower control arms to limit their travel and prevent any metal to metal contact. You really only need them if you are planning on driving over bumps at decent speeds or hit the trails often. Ride quality will best be improved with decent shocks. I currently have Fox remote resi 2.0 coilovers in the front and 2.0 emulsions in the rear. I have a pair of deaver leaf in the back sitting on 2 inch blocks (not the factory ones, just aluminum blocks). The shocks made a huge difference. However, once I crank the coilovers up front to 3", the ride quality was crap. So now I have Fox 2.5s waiting to be installed once my new lift kit and 10" Atlas springs arrive. The shocks are where it counts. Upgrade those first before considering getting bumpstops. I have yet to need them in the front since I have never had metal to metal contact with the lower control arms. They are fairly cheap, though, in comparison to coilovers, but are not made as an equal substitute since they are only for additional support whereas the coilovers are your primary. It does make sense that they may help out with rubbing since they will limit how far up the control arms move, thus, the movement pf your tire, but I would think that would only help with lots of travel, not rubbing from normal daily driving. Plus, I have not heard of anyone installing bump stops in the front to solve rubbing issues as this is not their intented function. I have had several set ups and feel that having no block whatsoever makes the ride rougher but installing too big of a block is a cheaper quality substitute for putting in a bigger stack of leafs and increases axle wrap. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Nice Sweater (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by RIV Customz
I have the Fox 2.0 bumpstops in the rear. I fabbed a pair of mounts to hold the stops and a pair of blocks that bolt on top of the leafs. My truck is heavier than most F150s, especially with my rear bumper, 40" spare, winch, hi-lift, and a full tool box. With all that weight and and not slowing down for speed bumps, I opted to install the bump stops. They pretty much slow the rate of travel in the rear when the leaf springs compress. I do not have any in the front but there are many that have installed them. Up front, the bump stop is mounted to the frame and makes contact with the lower control arms to limit their travel and prevent any metal to metal contact. You really only need them if you are planning on driving over bumps at decent speeds or hit the trails often. Ride quality will best be improved with decent shocks. I currently have Fox remote resi 2.0 coilovers in the front and 2.0 emulsions in the rear. I have a pair of deaver leaf in the back sitting on 2 inch blocks (not the factory ones, just aluminum blocks). The shocks made a huge difference. However, once I crank the coilovers up front to 3", the ride quality was crap. So now I have Fox 2.5s waiting to be installed once my new lift kit and 10" Atlas springs arrive. The shocks are where it counts. Upgrade those first before considering getting bumpstops. I have yet to need them in the front since I have never had metal to metal contact with the lower control arms. They are fairly cheap, though, in comparison to coilovers, but are not made as an equal substitute since they are only for additional support whereas the coilovers are your primary. It does make sense that they may help out with rubbing since they will limit how far up the control arms move, thus, the movement pf your tire, but I would think that would only help with lots of travel, not rubbing from normal daily driving. Plus, I have not heard of anyone installing bump stops in the front to solve rubbing issues as this is not their intented function. I have had several set ups and feel that having no block whatsoever makes the ride rougher but installing too big of a block is a cheaper quality substitute for putting in a bigger stack of leafs and increases axle wrap. Good luck!
Alright, so do you think that the main issue of my truck riding rough is the fact that I don't have a block in? I recall someone telling me that the factory block has something built in, maybe a bump-stop (but not the kind that I'm considering), and because I removed it that is what is making my ride rough, or is it the springs them selves making my truck ride rough, and even if I put a block back in the problem will continue? I am leaning towards it being from not having the factory block, but I still want to add as much stuff to my truck as possible to create a better ride, because my truck riding rough is actually an understatement. I literally will hit a bump in the road, or series of bumps, and my truck will bounce until the cows come home, almost as my truck is over-emphasizing what a bump should feel like. I don't mind it that much, although it does get annoying with my city's poor constructed roads, but it's mainly for those who ride along with me. That is why I am wanting to buy the best shocks, add traction bars, possible put the factory block back in, and look into these bumpstops. I wasn't thinking about them for the front, but mainly for the rear. Would you mind posting some pictures of your suspension setup in the rear, maily showing the placement of the bump stops? I haven't ask my shop about doing this, and I'm sue they will let me know what they think about it, but I wanted to ask here first. How much is the difference between Fox shocks compared to lower grade ones, and the difference between having rear bump stops compared to not having them. Sorry for the paragraph, but thanks for the comment.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Ok, I found a few pictures off of Google of bump stops on a Raptor, and F-150 (which ironically had a Rize lift kit), along with a link to the Raptor's bump stop kit.

Raptor rear

F-150 front

Raptor setup link
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1207.../photo_09.html

Does that look correct? I know that the Raptor is newer, and a different year model, well and also that most of this stuff is custom, but is that where the bump stops would be placed?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by thatIRISHtruck
Ok, I found a few pictures off of Google of bump stops on a Raptor, and F-150 (which ironically had a Rize lift kit), along with a link to the Raptor's bump stop kit.

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1207.../photo_09.html

Does that look correct? I know that the Raptor is newer, and a different year model, weel and also that most of this stuff is customed, but is that where the bump stops would be placed?
I'm late to the party but that's how I've always seen bump stops.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by speeddemon86
I'm late to the party but that's how I've always seen bump stops.
Any advice, or knowledge on them? Absentee's are always welcome.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by thatIRISHtruck

Any advice, or knowledge on them? Absentee's are always welcome.
Well I'm not very knowledgeable on them. I just read about them and from what I gather they dint come into play until you start using up some travel and they stiffen up the suspension to keep it from bottoming out.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by speeddemon86
Well I'm not very knowledgeable on them. I just read about them and from what I gather they dint come into play until you start using up some travel and they stiffen up the suspension to keep it from bottoming out.
I see... That's what I thought in the beginning, was that they are only used in long travel setups, or for race trucks, but now I'm starting to see them for different uses.

Search this Thread