Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Building Vs buying

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 229 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Building Vs buying

The more I look the more I see built trucks with axle swaps,44"+ tires etc for dirt cheap.. Sometimes you can get freshly built rollers for a few grand,so aside from getting exactly what you want is there any real reason not to buy instead of build? Alot of the time the axles alone cost the asking price on the rollers I've been seeing. I've seen some trucks with built engines,rockwell axles,50"+ tires etc for under $7,000
Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have built one and bought one. The one I built cost more money but I knew the work was done right. The one I bought I have spent a lot of time and money, fixing, the short cuts they took it. If I had to do it again I would build one before buying so I knew the work was done right.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by trayball20
I have built one and bought one. The one I built cost more money but I knew the work was done right. The one I bought I have spent a lot of time and money, fixing, the short cuts they took it. If I had to do it again I would build one before buying so I knew the work was done right.
You'll put more time fixing screw ups for sure,but when you buy a truck,axles,etc that took $15,000 to put together for say $5,000,that leaves a lot of money to fix stuff.. I'm just trying to figure out which route to go when I get my mud truck,which I plan to start on next tax season since I should get a hefty tax return unlike this year
Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by trayball20
I agree. I'd rather have the comfort of driving something safe and reliable than deal with the previous owners mistakes. Not to mention the bragging rites of "I did this myself".
Old 04-12-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

If I did it all over again, I'd buy an already built one and go through it and make sure everything was the way I wanted it. That saves you a ton of time, work and money that you would never get back if you built it yourself. I sold a truck that I had over $12,000 into for $5000. I also built an 84 Chev C10 and put about $10,000 into it and sold it for 6. Both times, the guy buying them off me was the winner and I was the loser. It's easier to fix previous owners mistakes then do something yourself from scratch and cheaper too.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

If you know what to look for buying built or semi built is cheaper and smarter. If you don't then you can end up with some booty fabbed,pos death trap.. which you'll have to redo completely anyways.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Collin
If you know what to look for buying built or semi built is cheaper and smarter. If you don't then you can end up with some booty fabbed,pos death trap.. which you'll have to redo completely anyways.
My thinking behind it was even if I got a rigged truck,as long as the $4k in axles,$1500 in tires etc is fine i'd still be ahead..
Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm...I'm kinda on the fence about this one. I'd say to do both. Find something that has some mods done to it, but with enough stock parts to redo yourself, that way you save a little bit of money but can still call that truck your own, instead of pretty much taking credit for someone else's work. Plus, you could do it in your own style too.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Take.ErOff.The.Road.
Hmm...I'm kinda on the fence about this one. I'd say to do both. Find something that has some mods done to it, but with enough stock parts to redo yourself, that way you save a little bit of money but can still call that truck your own, instead of pretty much taking credit for someone else's work. Plus, you could do it in your own style too.
Honestly I don't care if it even has a motor,I just want the rockwells and lift already on it lol. That's the expensive part
Old 04-14-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Not wrong with buying built, providing you trust the work done to it, and I don't personally think it's cheaper to build yourself, cuz you never get what you put into it money wise, plus, you gatta figure the hours you'd put into it starting from scratch, how much is your time worth? Why not buy built and let someone else take the bigger financial hit and be able to enjoy your dream truck the moment you get it.

Quick Reply: Building Vs buying