Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Body lift or leveling or suspension

Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body lift or leveling or suspension

New to the site, figure I grab some opinions out there. Own a 03 F150 FX4 supercab, 5.4L silver. I wanted to lift the truck but nothing drastic as I do not go off roading. I have been toying with the idea of a RCX 4.5 suspension lift and 18x9 with 35" tires. However reading some other posts I don't want to re-gear anything and really don't want to strain motor/drive system. So I then thought a leveling kit ( unknown on height ?) and 33" tires on 17x9 wheels. Figured less strain. Those were my options and figure both would work without doing a mix like leveling kit and body lift. Was wondering what is the best option? What would look best as I don't want to put a lift too high we're the tires don't fill the wheel wells nicely. Also had a few tires picked out but I'm sure M/T wouldn't be so great on city roads so, and A/T tire that looks rugged enough like a M/T would be preferred? Also $$$ isn't a big deal currently speaking and I might have to hold off since truck still under premium ford care warranty till 2013. Might void it.
Simply planning now and looking for all opinions and pictures.
Thanks you for reading and replying!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 PM
James

I personally would go with the 4.5" lift and 33's or 35's, you really dont have to worry about re-gearing until you have tires bigger than 35's, it will just seem down on power.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM

If money is not an issue get the suspension lift. Body lifts can cause issues being you move the body away from the frame. Which means things have to be relocated and stretched to Maximum capibilitys. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Roastbeef
If money is not an issue get the suspension lift. Body lifts can cause issues being you move the body away from the frame. Which means things have to be relocated and stretched to Maximum capibilitys. Just my 2 cents.
Same issues with leveling kits?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 PM

Not the same issues with leveling kits but don't believe what they say. You will not keep the same ride quality. Once you add a leveling kit the front end will ride more stiff even if you replace the shocks, which is recommend.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Roastbeef
Not the same issues with leveling kits but don't believe what they say. You will not keep the same ride quality. Once you add a leveling kit the front end will ride more stiff even if you replace the shocks, which is recommend.
Oh okay, stick with suspension then.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 PM

I own a 2009 F-150. I had it for about 6 months when I put a leveling kit on it and never noticed a difference in the handling or ride. That was almost 2 years ago. I am wanting to put a 3" body lift so I can put 20" rims with a 35" tire. If you don't go off roading, there is no need for a suspension lift. They cost more for parts. A body lift shouldn't affect the handling too much but the bigger tire will. However, I think there are programmers you can buy for about $200 to $400 that will calibrate your gear ratio, torque, horsepower, calibrate your speedometer, etc.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by drews_80
I own a 2009 F-150. I had it for about 6 months when I put a leveling kit on it and never noticed a difference in the handling or ride. That was almost 2 years ago. I am wanting to put a 3" body lift so I can put 20" rims with a 35" tire. If you don't go off roading, there is no need for a suspension lift. They cost more for parts. A body lift shouldn't affect the handling too much but the bigger tire will. However, I think there are programmers you can buy for about $200 to $400 that will calibrate your gear ratio, torque, horsepower, calibrate your speedometer, etc.
Was the leveling kit on stock wheels/rims?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

3" body lift and 3" level with 35s
Attached Thumbnails Body lift or leveling or suspension-image-439677998.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Your truck has torsion bars that have to be maxed out in order to be leveled...in return you get worn out bushings and ball joints, bad camber and caster angles, bad cv angles, sliced cv boots, and the stiffest ride you could ever want. the later body styles (after 03) use strut extensions or coil spacers to level them and the suspension isnt nearly as sacrificed as it is with the 97-03 styles. Go with the suspension lift. easier to install than body lift (easier, not easy) and better ride. not to mention the true clearance you gain with it. def worth the money!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body lift or leveling or suspension