Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Body lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Riding In The South

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Body lift

anybody else strip one of those bed bolts when trying to take them out? had a buddy get a little to crazy and if so how the hell yall get it out
Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 AM

i was gonna install a body lift on my truck too. the bed bolts are carriage bolts and have nothing to hold on to on the top and they just spin when we use the impact gun. so i gave up on trying to install it. i called a local offroad shop and they told me they weld big nuts at the top of the bolt so they can use a big wrench to torque them off.
you can use that method or grind them off.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g3x5
i was gonna install a body lift on my truck too. the bed bolts are carriage bolts and have nothing to hold on to on the top and they just spin when we use the impact gun. so i gave up on trying to install it. i called a local offroad shop and they told me they weld big nuts at the top of the bolt so they can use a big wrench to torque them off.
you can use that method or grind them off.
Thats what we did!! I couldnt remember what we did when we stripped one of the bolts. We ground the head off. But that was going to be my other solution, thats if you had a welder readily available, was weld a nut on the head of the bolt. But Im pretty sure you got it now.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by BroganF150
anybody else strip one of those bed bolts when trying to take them out? had a buddy get a little to crazy and if so how the hell yall get it out
I hear ya cuz i took my bed off yesterday and they were some bad mothers. I ended up grinding the heads off all the bolts and jacking the bed up off the frame. Just making room for the other rust free bed.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Penetrating oil every day 1 week prior to removal. I still either stripped the head or broke the torx bit. I ended up grinding the head so two faces were flat and used vice grips and a hammer. One or two of the bolts twisted the nut out of the J clip on the bottom. Vice grips again.

Quick Reply: Body lift