Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Best value in rear diffs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Best value in rear diffs?

I believe my '11 F150 4x4 has the 9.25in rear end? What is the best value in LSD out there for this unit? Looks like the Ford Trac-Lok is just about as expensive as the Detroit Trutrac. I've run the Ford units in mustangs with great results, especially using the carbon "Cobra" clutches but have heard great things about the Trutracs. Any other options out there for a pavement pounder in the snowbelt (though I've like to think I will take it to the dunes or something one day!)?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You're close. 9.75, not 9.25.

Detroit Truetrac. That's it. Best diff on the market. search my posts. I must have a couple dozen by now about the truetrac. Drives like an open diff, transfers power better than any limited slip, doesn't wear out, and if you have traction control, it will act as a locker should you lift a tire off the ground.

Nothing else comes close to being as versatile. I've installed dozens of these. I intentionally bought a leftover 2014 supercab WITHOUT the e-locker just because I wanted to install a Truetrac. I did, and I love it.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts

Personally in my daily drivers I run Detroit Lockers..... never liked the Trutrac ever, and like mentioned with clutch or cone gear, I don't like stuff that wears out either. The locker is nowhere near as harsh as people say it is and it works great too on the street. I have experience here..... I do daily Detroit Locker equipped stuff. It unlocks to turn corners..... if you mash the throttle it will lockup again but if you coast it allows independent wheel speeds. My '13 FX4 broke an axle and I ordered a locker for it too to replace the electronic thing it has now. I am sure my e locker is wrecked as the carrier is really beat where the axle slides through as it broke in the spider gear. I dismantled as much as I can without pulling the ring gear off it. If I get it reassembled tonight/tomorrow morning we shall see if it works anymore... Unfortunately the Detroit was backordered so I am stuck with the stock stuff until my new parts arrive in February. I will limp this along for now.

I am installing aftermarket axles over Fords stock junk that they put in.... and the new shafts will not have tone rings for the ABS sensors in the rear. I am fine with that as fuse 36 will remain pulled forever..... so all abs, t/c and whatever else will be completely dead. I am against the grain of the internet world.... lol. And I am perfectly fine with that!

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 01-17-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:57 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I too have run Detroit Lockers on the street. I have a couple F350s with them. By far, they are the strongest thing out there, and they aren't nearly as bad as people say they are, but they do have 2 negatives.

1. they have a built in "backlash" for when they lock and unlock. The driveshaft actually turns up to 1/8 of a turn in either direction before the differential starts to turn. This is VERY evident in manual transmissions, which I know you don't have. In automatics, not so bad.

2. there is a distinct feeling in the rear of the vehicle when going from "coast" to "drive" and back, while going around bends in the road. Although it doesn't hurt anything, it can get annoying.

Yes, the Lockers are streetable, they're not like they used to be, BUT, they are happier off the road.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts

E locker is back and working as it always did . Negative number 1 I agree but i get used to it and don't notice it. Negative number 2.. i have never felt anything in curves on the road going from coast to power. On initial starts and cornering yes as you will drag the inner tire while under power. It's not for everyone but I like it... and my 20 year old female apprentice with the one old GM I still have with one does too lol.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 01-18-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Best value in rear diffs?