Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Battery Camping Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Camping Question

Howdy! My name is Fred. I live in Oceanside CA. I recently bought a new 2016 Ford F150 XL reg cab. I want to use it for camping. I put a shell on it that also includes a three plug 12v outlet for power. I am reluctant to use the truck's battery due to fear of running it down. I was wondering if I could bring another battery with me and when I park put the truck's battery terminal cables on the stand-alone battery and run it from there through the truck's wiring to 12v outlet in the back? Seems simple enuff, but the answer kinda escapes me... probably because I am not really familiar with car/battery systems. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Welcome to the world of F150s Fred!

A dual battery set up is very popular amongst campers and "overlanders". I am in the latter category, meaning we head off road for days at a time with an autonomous rig. If you would like a link to the world's best source of camping/overlanding info, here it is: www.expeditionportal.com (nicknamed "ExPo")

You have a new battery, and so will last you for quite awhile. I swapped out my OEM battery for an Optima Yellow Top (deep cycle/starting) battery. I also have a 100 watt solar panel set up that I just connect to my truck's battery via a solar controller. I have no worries about draining the battery. I run an ARB fridge, LED lights; and I have a 1000 watt inverter for running stuff (like a blender for margaritas

Any questions, ask away (or even PM me). There are others on here who are proficient in overlanding, and may chime in as well.

Have fun!
The following 2 users liked this post by STingray1300:
Finewest (10-23-2016), morech (01-03-2017)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:14 PM

Thank you Ray. I am looking at a small solar setup. I was asking if I stop and park and get out the other battery from the back and walk it up to the front, pop the hood, remove battery terminal cables off of the trucks battery and attach the cables to the other battery and run electrical power through the truck. Then when I am ready to move on put the cables back on the truck battery and stow the other battery back in the back.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

Hey Fred, welcome to the forum! It's good to see more San Diego natives around here.

If you were planning on running a solar system, there are much more integrated solutions than having to manually hook everything up each time you need it! A popular method of setting this up is running the solar directly from the panel into a charge controller unit, and into a second battery. Speaking of Expedition Portal (thanks for reminding me, STingray1300), here is a great build that does something very similar to what you're planning. It's on a Tundra, but the concept carries over just fine to a Ford platform. He is running his to a separate battery in the bed, but you could apply the same idea to a single or dual battery setup under the hood as well.

Here's the build: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ab-Build/page3

There are plenty more on there running solar setups, and probably threads dedicated to it, but that is a working, real world example for you to go off of. This is something that I have been looking into for my personal rig, so I would be very interested to see where you end up taking this.

Hope this sends you in the right direction!

Last edited by AutoAnything; 10-24-2016 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Finewest (10-24-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

w00t Overlanding!

I just got my bed cage made Ray, and am putting on spray in bedliner now. Next up is roof top tent.

@autoanything I want to do that too, but mount the battery on the inside frame rail.
Finewest (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

For around $100 you can get a solar charger as well. That way once you park for camping you simply unfold the panels and put them on the dash or on the top of the shell (made for camping and actually are canvas backed and fold up). This way you are constantly trickle charging the battery, which you most likely or using at night mostly.
Finewest (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

your idea of disconnecting and reconnecting the truck battery not so good. Every time you do this you reboot the computer's,lose the clock and radio presets and start the learning process all over. a very simple solution for your use would be a spill proof AGM battery carried in the camper with a cord and trailer plug. run what you need off of the 2nd battery plug it in to the trailer outlet to charge when the engine is running and you will always have a spare if ever need it.
Finewest (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
your idea of disconnecting and reconnecting the truck battery not so good. Every time you do this you reboot the computer's,lose the clock and radio presets and start the learning process all over. a very simple solution for your use would be a spill proof AGM battery carried in the camper with a cord and trailer plug. run what you need off of the 2nd battery plug it in to the trailer outlet to charge when the engine is running and you will always have a spare if ever need it.
This is what I ended up deciding to do. I didn't even think about the truck's computer systems. That was a good one. I've been looking at a folding 60 watt solar panel setup with a second battery, and trickle charging the truck's battery. Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I look forward to more interactions. Cool group!
sigma pi (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
w00t Overlanding!

I just got my bed cage made Ray, and am putting on spray in bedliner now. Next up is roof top tent.

@autoanything I want to do that too, but mount the battery on the inside frame rail.
Cool Sigma pi!. (but: pics, or it didn't happen)

Some guys run a dual set up with the 2nd battery in a box under the truck next to the frame rail. No room for a dual set up on an EcoBoost under the hood.
sigma pi (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
The radio/entertainment in the truck has a back up battery, so you shouldn't lose your presets. If you do, the back up battery needs replacing.

Originally Posted by Finewest
This is what I ended up deciding to do. I didn't even think about the truck's computer systems. That was a good one. I've been looking at a folding 60 watt solar panel setup with a second battery, and trickle charging the truck's battery. Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I look forward to more interactions. Cool group!
Generally, you will need about a 100 watt panel to keep up with camping needs, especially if you ever run a fridge. I had a 53 watt, and it was not quite enough just to keep the fridge going. Remember, you have to factor in that for about 12 hours per day the solar won't charge because of sun angle and darkness. But if you get a good AGM battery (Optima, etc.), it will help your situation.

I'll repeat myself, and say that ExPo is THE resource for any camping/overlanding wisdom, including solar stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by STingray1300:
AutoAnything (10-27-2016), Finewest (10-26-2016)