Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Bad vibration on hard right turn in 4X4 Low

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Bad vibration on hard right turn in 4X4 Low

I've had my 2010 F-150 Platinum 4 X 4 for 8 days now. This evening I used it in 4 X 4 Low to back a trailer up the driveway, onto the grass and into the backyard. It worked perfectly. Total "trip" about 100 feet.

I unhitched the trailer and drove down the grass onto the paved driveway and made a hard right onto the paved street, still in 4 X 4 Low. At idle speed (about 2 mph) a very bad vibration came from the right front wheel.

Bad CV joint?
Tire rubbing on inside of fender well?

Coming off the incline of the driveway, the truck was about 10 degrees nose down and tipped to the right side about 10 degrees. That would put more weight on the right front wheel, but I don't think it should have hit the wheel well, even at full right turn. It was dark so I couldn't see what was going on.

When I got the truck back on level pavement, I put it in 4 X 4 Low again and did a hard right. No vibration at all when on the level. Did a hard left. No vibration. Put it back in 2H and parked for the night.

Should this vibration be checked out by the dealer, or is this just a "fact of life" when four wheel driving?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

i dont think its much a vibration issue as the fact that why are you driving on a paved street or driveway in 4x4? maybe i read the post to quick, but you should never if you can ever help it drive in 4x4 on the actual street, paved road etc. it can lead to broken parts and all kinds of things. I wouldnt worry about it to much, I would just think it was the fact of what you were doing was not something the truck was happy with. and oh btw gorgeous truck, i wish I could afford something like that. im young and still in college so now would not be the time for me to get something like that anyways much less pay for it all on my own but gorgeous truck.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

four wheel drive + dry pavement = fail. not trying to be a dick, but you might want to read through your owners manual on how to use your 4x4 before you damage your new truck. 4 wheel drive is not meant to be used on dry pavement and using 4 low on dry pavement is even worse. i doubt you did any damage this one time but you shouldnt make a habit of doing that.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
four wheel drive + dry pavement = fail. not trying to be a dick, but you might want to read through your owners manual on how to use your 4x4 before you damage your new truck. 4 wheel drive is not meant to be used on dry pavement and using 4 low on dry pavement is even worse. i doubt you did any damage this one time but you shouldnt make a habit of doing that.
X2!

Owner's manual, page 296:
Four–wheel drive (4WD) supplies power to all four wheels. 4WD should
not be operated on dry pavement; driveline damage may occur.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by SailorDon

I unhitched the trailer and drove down the grass onto the paved driveway and made a hard right onto the paved street, still in 4 X 4 Low.
I'm new to the 4 X 4 stuff. While I was on the grass, I figured it was appropriate to be in 4 X 4 Low. The instant I drove off the grass onto the paved driveway, I should have shifted back to 2H. My bad!

I don't think I broke anything, but I won't do it again. The second the last wheel comes off that last blade of grass, I'm shifting to 2H.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:19 AM

You probably won't need 4WD on grass. I use 2WD on algae covered boat ramps without a problem. Try it.

Make sure you read the shifting into 4WD HI/LO and back into 2WD instructions too.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven mine in 4Hi on the pavement after exiting a mudhole, although not that far. No vibration whatsoever. I have never felt vibration out of my 2001 in hi or low, but I try not to use it on pavement. IIRC, my owners manual states you CAN use it on pavement in 4Hi, not low, up to a certain speed. I just don't regularly practice that. If it were my $40-50K truck, I would be concerned and check into it. I have never had a 4x4 vibrate on pavement, especially as short of a distance as you went.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorDon
I'm new to the 4 X 4 stuff. While I was on the grass, I figured it was appropriate to be in 4 X 4 Low. The instant I drove off the grass onto the paved driveway, I should have shifted back to 2H. My bad!

I don't think I broke anything, but I won't do it again. The second the last wheel comes off that last blade of grass, I'm shifting to 2H.
Sounds like a great practice
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JJ1983
I have driven mine in 4Hi on the pavement after exiting a mudhole, although not that far. No vibration whatsoever. I have never felt vibration out of my 2001 in hi or low, but I try not to use it on pavement. IIRC, my owners manual states you CAN use it on pavement in 4Hi, not low, up to a certain speed. I just don't regularly practice that. If it were my $40-50K truck, I would be concerned and check into it. I have never had a 4x4 vibrate on pavement, especially as short of a distance as you went.
It won't vibrate until your turn. That's when you'll bind up the inside wheel/tire. As long as you're going relatively straight, both wheels/tires can spin at the same speed.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by shotgun
You probably won't need 4WD on grass.

With 2H, the rear wheels skid and dig up the grass when trying to back the trailer up the grassy incline. The ground is saturated with all the rain we had here in Houston recently. I prefer to save the grass, so I figure 4 wheel drive is way to go. The incline shifts more of the weight of the truck onto the front wheels. I'm sure the front wheels have better traction with the weight of the engine up there. The additional weight and resistance of pushing the trailer uphill through the grass doesn't help.

Quick Reply: Bad vibration on hard right turn in 4X4 Low