Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Alternator went out after mudding

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Alternator went out after mudding

I was mudding with my buddy he has a 2013 F150 XLT 5.0 and I have a 2014 fX4 5.0 two days ago and he hit a mud hole and his low battery sensor came on. Later when he got home his truck completely died. The next day I was on the way to my lakehouse and the road I took to get there was very muddy but no problems so far. After cutting the grass and taking the boat out my low battery warning came on. I drove home 50 miles back to my house after putting the boat up and it died 50 feet in front of my driveway. We jumped it and it ran, but the alternator would just not charge the battery. I took some WD40 and a hose and sprayed all the mud off of my alternator (funny how it's on the bottom of the engine with no protection from rain/mud) and jumped it again and it started then died. I'm about to get it towed to the dealer like my friend had unless anybody has anymore suggestions. My friend still hasn't heard anything from the dealer and it's been there for 2 days.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen on my 2013 XLT 5.0 after mudding. TWICE, idk if its just these alternators being weak but I brought it into the dealer both times for it(luckily I wasnt far away) and they replaced it under warranty. But I guarantee they wouldnt do it again for me. I wish these alternators werent on the bottom as well.. maybe a full front skid plate would protect it more?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoods151
I had the exact same thing happen on my 2013 XLT 5.0 after mudding. TWICE, idk if its just these alternators being weak but I brought it into the dealer both times for it(luckily I wasnt far away) and they replaced it under warranty. But I guarantee they wouldnt do it again for me. I wish these alternators werent on the bottom as well.. maybe a full front skid plate would protect it more?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the skid plates. I think I'm going to invest in the RCI ones.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 PM
HHHMMM

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

They need a relocation bracket for them. Being on the bottom of the engine is the dumbest place in the world to put one in my opinion. In waiting for the day mine goes out on my 2012 fx4.

Quick Reply: Alternator went out after mudding